Chapter 31 - Pushing The Limits

"She wanted something else, something different, something more. Passion and romance, perhaps, or maybe quiet conversations in candlelit rooms, or perhaps something as simple as not being second." - Nicholas Sparks

--

Tapping her pen in time with the ticking of the clock Mae stared off into space, her jaw hanging slightly open, the knock of the door startled her back to reality.

"Huh?" She shook the daze from her eyes as Kylie opened the door.

"You alright?" Kylie stepped into her office and closed the door right behind her. "I usually hear you on the phone or something but you've been pretty quiet today."

Mae rolled her eyes knowing the paper thin walls in the cheap, government funded office building allowed for very little privacy of any kind.

"The cons aren't interested in honest work it seems," Mae shrugged. "What's up?"

"Well, one is." She jammed her thumb over her shoulder gesturing to the waiting room. "I have someone, was just released yesterday, he's got nothing. No family, no job, hardly any money. I feel bad for him."

"You?" Mae pulled a face knowing Kylie was usually lacking in that department. "Better send him in, then."

She smiled and opened the door and waved in the newly released convict. He was tall, muscular, and as he strutted in Kylie grinned and stood behind him making obscene gestures.

Silently, she mouthed, "Bet he's got a big dick!"

Mae's eyes popped but she held in her laughter. "Hi, I'm Maelynn Callahan."

"Ma'am," he nodded and offered Mae his hand. "Skylar Abbott."

"Whoa," she drew her head back, her hand pressed against her chest. "I don't hear ma'am very often. Military?"

"Marines."

"Impressive," she smiled politely. "Semper Fi."

"Ohhrah," he said with a quick chuckle. "I hope it's okay that I didn't call first."

"Oh, no, you're fine." Mae assured him as she pulled a folder from her bottom drawer. "So, Mr. Abbott,"

"Skylar, please," he interrupted in an almost timid manner.

"Alright, Skylar," she smiled. "What exactly are you looking for?"

"Help cleaning up my life," he sighed. "I was discharged, medical reasons, and I don't know if you're familiar with our government but once you're no good to em', you get fucked." He shook his head. "Excuse my language," he said apologetically. "It's just frustrating."

"I can't imagine, I'm really sorry." Mae's hands were folded on her desk as she looked at Sky with sincere sorrow and empathy. "I guess you were locked up for some kind of robbery?"

"No," his cheeks turned a light shade of pink but Mae caught it. "Drugs, I was selling and I got jumped. Someone called the cops when they saw the fight. I was eventually charged with possession with intent to sell and assault."

Mae nodded along as he spoke, jotting down notes, and looked up only when he stopped speaking. "How long were you in?"

"I got six years but they paroled me after three and a half."

"Okay, I'll need your parole officer's name and contact information." She handed him a small piece of paper and a pen. "Is there any particular job you're looking for?"

"Something to pay the rent." He said sadly. "Thank you for being so kind, I'm not used to it."

"You're welcome. My dad was a felon," she said by way of explanation. "I know all about the parole prejudices, trust me. It's part of why I'm here doing this kind of work now."