Chapter 67 - Friendly Fire

"Family is supposed to be our safe haven. Very often, it's the place where we find the deepest heartache." - Iyanla Vanzant     

Whatever Opie and Jax were waiting for at the party never happened. Galen lingered, killing the mood, but no one was hurt and no threats were made. The Sons went back home later that evening, made love to their old ladies, and passed out with less stress on their minds than they imagined.

"So that was it?" Mae asked Opie as they snuggled on the couch the next morning with coffee. "He just came and hung out?"

Opie nodded, still confused by Galen's actions, and attempted to quell her concerns. "Sometimes they like to flex their muscle. It can't have shit to do with Meels, no one knows, the timing is just weird."

"Yeah," she glanced at the letters and photos on the coffee table. "We should hide those," she said quietly. "We're not gonna tell them anything?"

"No," Opie seemed conflicted by the decision. "I mean, I'll tell Jax about Galen, I gotta, but everything else, with JT being dead and shit, don't seem to matter."

"And your sister?" Mae asked, nudging him with her foot.

"Amelia can't know," he sighed. "The way we were raised, SAMCRO is in our blood, the club is your family, it'll kill her. She won't know who she is, her whole identity was based on the goddamn club."

Mae hung her head, feeling for Amelia, and nodded. "Okay," she scooted closer to him. "Hey, you do what you think is right, Ope."

"Yeah," he shifted topics quickly, he hated the whole situation more than he'd ever say. "I'll call you about Charlie."

"Make sure he knows I don't want to talk to him," she mumbled.

"You ever hear from the bank?" He asked, prodding her for the truth knowing she wouldn't bring it up.

"It was him, he forged my signature and signed it over to him so he just cashed it. He took all that money, Ope, money he knew I needed, and did god knows what with it."

Taking her into his arms he comforted her. "Want me to kick his ass for you?"

"Don't waste your time," she sighed. "Get him to sign it, I'll get some money from him until I can sell the place then I'll never see him again."

"That's my girl," he chuckled. "You weren't gonna tell me were you?"

"Nope," she shrugged. "Found out a few days ago and just wanted to forget I ever trusted the asshole."

Kissing the top of her head Opie squeezed her tighter. "I gotta go soon."

"I know," she sighed. "You'll be back Monday or Tuesday?"

"As soon as possible," he promised her. "I wanna meet Jax out front though," he gestured to the photos.

"I already packed you a bag," she said proudly. "I hope that's okay."

"It's great actually," he grinned as he maneuvered her to face him, her legs on either side of his lap. "Now I got some extra time."

"That was not my intention," she giggled. "But I like the consequences of my actions."

--

*On The Road*

"I gotta talk to you," Opie grumbled as they stopped for a stretch and a smoke. "It's about Meels."

Jax's face instantly grew dark. "What's up?"

"I found out who her real parents are." His eyes were looked on the bits of gravel he kicked and rolled beneath his boots. "Galen O'Shay and some SAMBEL old lady Maureen."