Chapter 19 - Game Changers and Sacrifices

"The most painful thing is losing yourself in the process of loving someone too much, and forgetting that you are special too." - Ernest Hemingway

Sipping the burnt, stale coffee Saint Thomas provided Juice paced with Happy and Kozik quietly waiting for someone to update them.  He could see Amelia's expression was soft, caring and concerned, and whatever betrayal she felt was washed away in the wake of Jax's stabbing.

"How is he?" Chibs asked as he sidled up beside Juice.

"Fine," Juice seemed unaffected by any of what had happened. "He got lucky, nothing but blood loss, glass missed his organs and shit."

"Goddamn," Chibs laughed with relief. "Golden Jackie Boy, shite always slides off him."

Juice scoffed, "Yeah it does." Tossing his coffee away, he jammed his hands in his pockets and looked at Chibs for news on their end. "So, what happened at the table?"

"Clay was pissed," Chibs said. "No one's allowed to go near em' and we're all on watch. He said not even a ticket until this asshole is sent packing."

"After this I can't believe he's still in the state." Juice felt his fingers curl up into fists. He wanted his own chance to hurt the man who had gone after Amelia. "Unser say much?"

Chibs' bottom lip jutted out. "Chief says he'll be sent back to Chicago, lost his job and all that shite."

"Good."

"There's more," Chibs growled as he pulled Juice over toward Happy and Kozik. "He ain't the only ATF agent sniffing around."

"Let me take him out," Happy said matter-of-factly. "I love killing Feds."

The men smiled a little but Chibs shook his head. "Best behavior, boys."

Best behavior did not include growing feelings for their VP's old lady but Juice had little control over that aspect. His eyes wandered over, peering through the blinds, as Amelia rested her head on Jax's shoulder.

"I need some sleep." He grumbled. "I'm heading out."

"Aye," Chibs nodded. "Let me see Jackie and I'll ride back with you." Juice was hoping to avoid that part but he followed Chibs into the hospital room.

"Hey guys," Amelia jumped up.

"Glad you're safe, poppet." Chibs pecked her cheek quickly. "Sorry for the interruption," he apologized.

"You're fine," she rubbed her palm over her face. "I was thinking about going home. It's been a long damn day."

"You are going home." Jax reached up and gave her hand a gentle tug. "You need sleep."

"Glad to see you're alright," Juice said quickly as he offered Jax his hand.

"Thanks for looking out for Meely, brother." The two shook, no noticeable awkwardness or tension, and Juice lingered by the door quietly waiting to take his leave of the couple.

"When are they kicking you out?" Chibs asked in no real rush.

Sitting up, hiding his pain, Jax chuckled. "I'm out. I'm not staying, I don't need it."

"Jackson," Amelia scolded.

Juice rolled his eyes and left the room as Jax opened his mouth to speak again. "I got you there," he reminded her. "Head out and grab the doc for me?" She did as requested and left Chibs with Jax. "Fucking ATF isn't putting me in here overnight."

"That pride is gonna kill you, brother." Chibs warned.

"As long as it ain't the Feds," he joked.