Chapter 16 - The Death of The Happy Ending

"Do not give up; the beginning is always the hardest." - Kemmy Nola

The flush of embarrassment in Mae's cheeks was so dark it rivaled the Merlot Donna had thrown that now stained her blue and white polka dot dress. Tossing some cash on the table Mae left the bistro, tail between her legs and completely confused, and slipped into her car to cry. She had no idea how Donna could find out so quickly that Opie and Mae were still in contact, at the least, but the how didn't matter.

"She's right," Mae said as she wiped her tears. "I should have listened. Stupid girl," she chided, "You're an idiot, Donna is so right."

Mae went home and nursed her ego and heart with a bottle of wine. After all that had happened she hadn't cared to check her phone nor did she know Opie had even texted her earlier if she did maybe she'd have a clue. She did wait up, still thinking he'd be by earlier, but she was sorely mistaken. Falling asleep on the chaise, she was startled awake at half past one when he let himself in with the spare key.

"Hey." He was surprised to see her there, especially with an empty bottle of wine. "Are you alright?"

"I'm just peachy." She groaned. "Here's your things," the bag was packed and waiting by the door. "May I have my key, please?"

"Oh, yeah," he pressed the key into her hand, "Here."

"Whatever this is," she said coolly, "It isn't going to work."

His eyebrow crept up into his hairline. "Uhhh okay. What happened?" It was just the start, he didn't know what to call them, but now it seemed not to matter.

"I happened," she whispered harshly. "Nothing," she finally answered him. "Nothing even happened but you're married, you've been separated for like, what, a week? This is trouble, from every direction, and I don't want it."

Without knowing, what transpired earlier Opie immediately assumed the trouble was SAMCRO. "Yeah," he sighed. "That's great. It's been fun." He was bitter, beyond angry, and not that he'd ever admit it to her now but he was hurt. Mae was the second women to reject him for who he felt he was at his core.

"You should talk to Donna." Mae said sadly. "She loves you."

"No, she doesn't," he spat caustically. "And I don't love her, not anymore. Besides, I didn't leave her for you, so you want out, that's fine, but don't think pushing that makes it all better."

"Ope," Mae stepped forward as he moved toward the door.

"No, Mae." He shook his head. "Go find your next charity case."

She huffed, lacking a comeback, and rolled her eyes as he stormed out with his tiny bag of belongings. It hurt, she had such strong feelings for him, but Donna's words and her own original hesitations won out.

His Harley revved and she wanted desperately to stop him but her shame kept her feet planted until the sound disappeared from the neighborhood.

--

The ache in her spine was the first thing Amelia focused on as she slowly regained consciousness. Focusing on the pain pulled her back to reality faster than a natural wake up and brought about a wave of dizziness that made her stomach lurch.

"I'll get you some water."

Her eyes popped open upon hearing Josh's voice and kind offer. "What the fuck?" Amelia looked around the room from her spot; duct taped to a surprisingly comfortable armchair in Kohn's hotel room, and was immediately hit with disgust and eeriness than straight fear.