Chapter 25 - Stumbling On The Way

"There are far far better things ahead than we left behind." - C.S. Lewis"

The clacking of keys was nearly drowned out by the incessant buzzing that filled the lobby of the hotel. Tourists and gamblers flooded the entrance, hurried and rude as usual, but Amelia was beaming no matter who or what surrounded her. She felt she was home in Vegas. This particular hotel wasn't where she had planned to stay but Juice insisted which meant Jax had actually insisted.

"Hi," Amelia spoke anxiously when it was her turn, knowing the hotel was probably booked, but playing along. "I need a room." She handed over her ID and the woman set to work.

"Oh," the receptionist looked up at Amelia. "Your name and address is flagged, there's a note here," she scrunched her forehead as she read. "There's a reservation under Amelia Winston-Teller, it says here Mr. Teller wanted to surprise you. It's one of our best suites, actually."

Her blue eyes bulged excitedly as looked back at Juice who simply smiled, her suitcase in his right hand and his own bag in his left. "Oh God," Amelia sighed and as a smile spread across her lips her heart quickened. "He's so sweet." Sometimes Jax could be romantic and incredibly thoughtful, she tried to focus on those times during the difficult moments.

"So that is you two then?" The woman asked with a smile on her face. "Aren't you just adorable!"

When Juice stepped forward to correct the woman and check into his own room, Amelia stopped him. "I'll pay for you to upgrade, Juicy."

"What?" He scoffed and shook his head. "No way, Amelia." The bellhop came toward the front desk and Juice handed him Amelia's bag. "Go, I'll meet you in a little bit."

"Are you sure?" When she grabbed his hand his heart skipped. "I feel bad."

"Why? You're not the only one moving down here, you know. I had to come too but I've got no one to impress." There was a mark of bitterness in his words but Amelia chose to ignore it.

She smiled and nodded, kissing his cheek before following the bellhop to the elevators. Watching as she disappeared into the crowd, Juice shook off his daze and stepped up to the desk. "I'm not Mr. Teller," he said with a sneer, "But I did make a reservation."

"Oh," the woman's cheeks flushed with embarrassment. "I'm sorry, the way you looked at her, I just-"

"You're fine," he waved away her apology and handed over his ID. "Just let me check in."

--

"She get there alright?" Opie asked as he took the empty spot beside Jax and gestured to the prospect for a beer.

Jax nodded, his lips curling into a smile as he pulled the bottle from his mouth. "What's the eye for?" He asked with a laugh as Opie stared at him, trying to read his smug expression.

"What did you do?" His eyes were slits as he stared at Jax.

"Booked her a suite on the strip." His eyebrows wriggled as he nodded his head and wore a devious grin. "Cost my goddamn left nut but she was thrilled. She's prob-"

"Shut the fuck up." Thumping Jax's arm hard with his fist, Opie groaned and sulked. "She's my little fucking sister."

"Exactly, I'm fucking your sister." Jax jumped to the next stool knowing Opie would not appreciate the comment. "Hey, hey, I'm kidding!"

"I don't wanna talk about her," he grumbled. "When we leaving? Unser said he's got eyes on the Fed, said so far were good."

Jax glanced at the clock behind the bar and thought for a moment. "I gotta run home and grab some clothes. I guess we could go in about an hour?"