Chapter 6

<Demi's POV >

As a child I loved Christmas time so much. No school, holidays, spending time with family, writing letters to Santa, getting gifts. Decorating Christmas tree and our house in Texas, back then. That whole Christmas spirit and magic everywhere. I wish I could get back to these days.

Now I prefered staying in hospital to spending time with my family. Before I started dating Alex they were killing me with new dates, complaing that I should be married already and I couldn't stand it. When I brought Alex to one of these family dinners they already started planning our new house and the room for our baby. My grandma told him to stop using condoms! I felt so embarrassed. Thanks God he drank too much and didn't remember anything. Alex used to drink a lot of alcohol and it really bothered me then. I drink occasionally but he doesn't have limits.

I shook my head and bought some fries in our canteen. I missed the pancakes my mom used to make in Christmas mornings or evenings, she always painted a snowflake or a snowman with jam on them. Even if it was hardly snowing in Texas. But these fries were all I could get now. I let out a sigh and went to changing room. There were some desks and it was really warm there. Plus I was probably the only one doctor out there since normally people fight about free time on Christmas. I volunteered this year to avoid all uncomfortable questions from my family. I felt like I disappointed them. I was 32, I didn't have my own family yet and they were mad, well, they are still mad that I chose being a surgeon instead of being a lawyer. My father had his own law office and thought I and Dallas would run it after him. But I've never liked it, I find law so boring. I've always loved biology, medicine. I loved learning new stuff and helping people. Whenever I tell them about my work, they always repeat that I made a mistake. I felt bad with that, because who can show you support when you're a single and your parents don't even know what support towards you mean? No one.

It was depressing. Also looking at these couples, marriages with kids... I really wanted my own kid, my little baby. But I needed a responsible man who could take care of us as well. And who would truly love me. But I doubted if men like this existed. When I told Alex I want a baby someday he replied with „buy a dog". His needs were always before mine and I wish I realized it earlier.

I opened the door and turned the lamp on. I jumped and dropped my fries when I saw a dark shadow. I had to cover my mouth not to scream.

Joe. It was Joe. Fuckin Joe!

- You asshole! – I sat down and closed my eyes to calm my heartbeat. – Merry Christmas to you, too. – he said picking my fries up and I giggled. Thankfully they were in small box so I could still eat them.

– Give it back to me! – I said and stood up. That biatch was eating my fries!

- Make me. – he smirked and I laughed. – Please. – I pouted. – I'm starving, that's my first meal! – I moaned and he put one fry into my mouth. I bit his finger.

– Ouch! You're naughty! No fries for you. – he said and just walked away while eating and it made me even more hungry. I pushed him so he fell on the sofa in the corner and I sat on his lap. – I. Want. My. Fries. – I whispered and he held his breath. I smirked, took my box and quickly jumped off his lap.

- But... - he groaned and I shoved some fries into my mouth. – Santa told me you steal others' food so there is no present for you. – I said and sat next to him. He made a sad face and I gave him a fry. – I'm hungry, I don't like sharing, sorry. – I said and he laughed and tried to bit my finger in revenge. I smacked. – Naah, don't even try. – I finished eating and laid on the sofa. I put my legs on Joe's and he started rubbing them with his hands. – Mmm, perfect. – I mummbled and he smirked at me. I loved that smirk. – Why are you even there? I thought you are spending Christmas with your family. – I looked at him curious. I didn't expect to see anyone there, especially not him.