Chapter 8

<Demi's POV>

I was walking through hospital hall and thinking. My sister's wedding was next week and as her main bridesmaid there were many things I had to do. She was calling me all the time along with my mother. And as hard as I tried to focus on the wedding, my mind was somewhere else.

Joe listened to me and we „act" like friends again and although I should be happy I can't stand it. I can't stand the fact he smiles at other girls. I can't stand the fact we don't kiss each other anymore. I don't know what I want, my brain says it should be that way but my heart and body yell it's wrong and I should change it.

I entered the canteen and saw Joe with Christina sitting by one table and laughing. I felt jealous again and couldn't fight that feeling. I decided to come closer and I sat near Christina.

- Hey, what's up Lovato? – she asked and I just smiled at her. I was too tired to even talk. – Nothing much. Did I interrupt you both? – it popped out of my mouth and they looked weird at me. Shit. I tried no to be bitter but it was impossible. – Not really, I've been wondering who's Joe's new girlfriend. – she smirked at him and he rolled his eyes. I felt stiff, I didn't know how should I react to this, I felt empty inside. – W-what? – I looked at him and he just chuckled. What the fuck. – Look at his neck, these love marks surely left someone who spent a few days with him. She has to be great in marking her territory because these have been on his neck for a while. – Christina smirked again and I choked on my donut. I looked up and quickly recognized my work. Joe kicked me under table and I had to calm myself so Christina wouldn't know I was that „girlfriend". I couldn't even cover my red cheeks , because my hair was too short now. – Anyway, how are you doing with wedding preparations? – she asked with wild smile and I just covered my face with hands. – Don't even mention it, it's one big mess. Being maid of honour is the worst thing ever. - I groaned. It really was. – How is your Best Man? – Christina laughed and I rolled my eyes. – Who? – Joe asked and furrowed his eyebrows. - Her dumb ex boyfriend, she wasted four years for him, can you believe? He is not even hot. – Christy exclaimed and Joe nodded glancing over me. – You said he was attractive! – I looked at her and she just giggled. – He was before he cheated on you, now he is some ugly ass rat. – she said and I shrugged my arms. I took a sip of coffee and stood up. – So... somebody has to work here. – I teased. – I gotta go. – I walked away and smiled when Joe joined me.

– You okay? – he asked and we stopped. – You seem to be off today. – he put his hands on his neck. – Yes, I'm just tired. – I explained and he nodded. And I miss you and don't like when you talk with others.

*

I grabbed my coat and was about to leave the hospital when I heard something hitting the floor with huge noise. I quickly went out from changing room and almost get hit with trash bin. My eyes widened. Joe was acting insane, he was furious and he was yelling at surgeons and nurses. I was terrified of him, I had no idea what happened. He should be home for like 3 hours already.

- Joe! – I tried to calm him down but he pushed me away in a painful way. He ran straight to changing room and closed the door. I was shocked. He never acted like this towards me, towards anyone.

- Matt, what happened to him? - I asked rubbing my arm, everyone was as shocked as me.

– That little girl who was his patient, the one with cancer has passed away. – he almost whispered and suddenly my knees became weak. I noticed her parents in the corner, her mother was barely standing on her feet. Oh my Gosh, Joe... I couldn't even imagine how was he feeling at that moment. I quickly stood up but Matt grabbed my head. – Leave him alone now, give him some time. – he said and I sat again but tears filled my eyes. How? How did it happen? She was like an angel, so innocent, way too innocent for this cruel world. My hands were shaking, I wasn't that close with her as Joe was but she still made a huge impact on my life. I wiped my tears and I felt Matt's hand on my arm. – She wasn't in pain. She just fell asleep. – he said and rubbed my back. Two hours later I was sitting with Matt and Christina in canteen, it was getting late. My duty finished. I closed my eyes not to think about this whole situation but I just couldn't. I saw her all the time, that bright smile she was sharing with everyone. The smile she caused on Joe's face, Maya was a part of him, he really loved her, I saw that. I ran fingers through my hair and something hit me. He is alone right now. He needs somebody. I took Matt's keys and went to the changing room. I knocked. Nothing. This didn't make sense, I opened the door and slowly walked in. He was sitting on the windowsill and I heard him sobbing. It broke my heart. I came closer.