Chapter 45

<Joe's POV>

I let out a quick yawn as I was walking downstairs with Aiden cuddling to my chest. Slowly and reluctantly I made my way to the dining room where I spotted Demi's family sitting by the massive oak table. I still wasn't used to that view, the amount of people in this house was overwhelming, but sometimes a nice thing to watch. They were cheerfully chatting enjoying each other's presence, their conversation was interrupted by my entrance though. I almost felt bad for stepping in.

I sent them a weak smile and greeted them with a simple "good morning". After I had spent half of the night on helping Demi and cleaning the mess she had created, I had to get up at 5:47 to fulfil my son's needs who wouldn't take "no" as an answer, just like his mother.

Dianna, Demi's mom sent me a sympathetic look full of care and consideration. She patted a chair next to her as an invitation for me to join the family breakfast. I gladly accepted this due to the fact that I was starving and some coffee was a must have.

I sat down carefully with Aiden and I felt more than awkward to be honest. All stares were laid on me, or more like on the little copy of me to be correct.

– Tough night, huh? – Dianna asked taking Aiden from me. I let out a sigh of relief, he has gained a lot of weight in these past few weeks and my ribs still weren't at their finest, so carrying him 24/7 wasn't this easy.

I nodded my head and thanked Demi's grandma after she had passed me a cup of coffee.

– Family's life. – I raised my head hearing the person I didn't expect to speak up. I opened my mouth and joined the rest with a breathless laugh as a reaction to this little joke Demi's father said. 

I was quite surprised, but decided to take it easy too and forget about our harsh beginnings. I sent him a smile and took a quick glance over everyone sitting by the table. Two members of the Lovato family were missing. Dallas and my beloved mother of our child. I felt like rolling my eyes, they both came back wasted from the party that night and they swore they wouldn't be long. I only hoped Dallas had a better head than Demi, I already left a package of aspirin on her bedside table.

I put some scrambled eggs and a few little tomatoes on my plate and began eating. I felt like in a movie, everything I did seemed to be done slower than in reality. Slow motion effect which was caused by my tiredness. I unlocked my phone and gladly noticed it was our last day here, at Demi's parents' and we are leaving in the evening. I had one unread message so I opened it and saw a text from Skylar.

"Joeeee, how are you? Is Demi okay? She isn't answering my texts :("

If I weren't surrounded by people I'd slap my forehead with an open hand. With all this mess, our accident and most importantly –parenthood- we forgot about her! 

I felt more than guilty, but began typing real quick. I explained her it was a long story and that all three of us are doing fine, I even sent her a picture of Aiden. Well, a few actually. I also apologized for not texting her, I realized how much I missed her. I promised to facetime her when we are home again. Thank God she wasn't mad. On the contrary, she was more than happy. I chuckled at my phone and locked it again finishing my breakfast. I put my plate into washing machine and prepared some food for Aiden, since Demi still hasn't made her appearance down there. Dallas did and has already stolen my son focusing on him instead of her hangover. Meanwhile, me and Mark had some great time making fun of her. She rolled her eyes at us. 

– Joe, how about you go and see how's your princess doing? – she smiled ironically and I shook my head laughing.

– Will do! – I winked at her grabbing a plate. I sighed while preparing some sandwiches for Dem and a cup of tea even if I knew she would probably leave it all.