Chapter 38

<Joe's POV>

I zipped my bag and put it over my shoulder, I couldn't help but hiss in pain though. Moving was still quite difficult to me, but I couldn't rely on others all the time. I didn't want to bother my mother, she has had enough of stress already. My brothers had their own lives, jobs and problems.

Demi was released home around two weeks ago. Due to my health state I wasn't able to go with her nor help her with our child, she had to do it all on her own, so I couldn't ask her to take care of me as well.

I let out a sigh, I felt bad that I had to spend days in bed and she was all alone with a new-born. I was kind of excited I was going home, I missed Demi and AJ too much.

I gritted my teeth and walked out of the room I've been stuck in for three weeks. It felt like an eternity to me though.

I went to the reception to sign out and Matt soon joined me. He would give me a ride to Demi's flat and I was thankful for that. I shook hands with him.

– Dude, give me it. – he mumbled and I rolled my eyes when he took the bag off my shoulder. Although deeply inside I felt a huge relief. I shouldn't have any weight on my chest or shoulders for a month or so, broken ribs needed usually around six weeks to heal but I didn't want to be dependent on anyone.

– Demi will kill me if you break one more rib. – he joked as we left hospital. I let a small chuckle. I was glad they became some kind of friends. Matt could be annoying, but at the end of a day he was like my brother.

– Only three are broken, it could have been worse. – I said shrugging my arms and we both laughed.

I blinked a few times after sun rays hit my eyes. I haven't been out for a while and some fresh air was something I definitely needed. I took a couple of deep breaths enjoying my freedom before getting in Matt's car. Buckling myself in took a lot of effort but I somehow managed to do it. I sighed leaning in to the window. We spent our ride in silence, because I already felt exhausted. Chest pains were as bad as two weeks ago, but I've never liked stuffing myself with pain-killers. When we made it to the certain address I was about to say goodbye to Matt and thank him, but he clearly wasn't done yet. He took my bag and went straight to the building Demi lived in. I shook my head with a smile following him.

I didn't have to knock twice because the door opened so quickly showing Demi's bright smile. I didn't even hesitate to share a kiss with her. She wrapped her arms around my waist deepening it.

– Gross. – I heard behind me which made us pull away. I rolled my eyes.

– You've just ruined a very sweet moment. – Demi raised her eyebrow and gave Matt a quick hug.

– Sorry, I was meant to drop him here, not to give my breakfast back. – he made a disgusted face and laid my bag on the floor.

– Thanks for everything Matt. – I hugged him gently, but he groaned.

– Dude, that's gay. – he mumbled and Demi threw her head back laughing. He grinned at us. – This is what friends are for, right? – he sent me a smile and patted my back.

I walked in to Demi's flat and first thing I noticed was a huge mess. Empty bottles on the floor, clothes everywhere.

– Sorry, I was too tired to clean. – she mumbled and scratched her neck. Why would I care though, I knew she took a good care of my son, that's all that mattered.

I nodded my head and pinned her to the wall behind her. She looked at me surprised. She was wearing a long t-shirt and sweatpants, her hair in a messy bun. But I still found her effortlessly hot.