Chapter 40

<Demi's POV>

I stepped out the shower and grabbed my favourite, fluffy towel. When I was pregnant I bought whole new set of soft towels, so Aiden's skin wouldn't get any irritation due to rough fabric. It was crazy how fast time flies. Aiden was growing up so fast, he was already one month old. It was scary to me. I didn't want him to grow, but on the other hand I looked forward to hear him calling me "mom". I smiled at my reflection and put some cream on my skin. I was dehydrated lately, I was too busy with my son to take care of myself and I could see the results of it already.

I took another towel to dry my hair a bit and went out the bathroom. I quickly dressed up and went downstairs. A smile appeared on my face, when I saw Joe laying on the couch with Aiden resting on his chest. Even if he shouldn't have any weight on his ribs, he (being stubborn himself) didn't follow the rules that Mark had given him at hospital. I shook my head with disapproval, but I was proud of him. He loved being involved in everything connected to AJ and he turned out to be a great dad. I finally felt something I haven't experienced for a while.

P e a c e.

I kissed top of Joe's head and sat next to my boys. Joe smacked my hand after I stuck it out to grab one of toasts he prepared.

– Make your own. – he mumbled but I took it anyway.

– Lazy ass. – Joe murmured making me laugh.

– Do you realize how much effort I had to put to give you this little munchkin? – I started. Joe looked at me confused.

– Exactly! And now you won't even give me one little toast? Do you want me to feel not appreciated at all? Not loved? Do you want me to feel like a machine to give kids? Do you want to make your own girlfriend feel depressed? Shame, Joseph. – I shook my head and his mouth dropped.

– Now I feel guilty for waking up today. – Joe laughed and I joined him. Even AJ's face lit up after hearing our laugh.

– You sure know how to steal someone's food, Lovato. Take second one too, so you feel appreciated enough. – Joe joked handing me his plate and I smiled with satisfaction.

– Have I told you I wanted to study psychology? – I asked cuddling to his side. Joe shook his head.

– I'm not surprised. – he chuckled pecking my forehead.

I took Aiden from him and smiled when he reached his hands to embrace my neck. He was such a cuddly person, it melted my heart every time. Well, it happened only around people he knew, when he was around someone new, he was getting fussy and annoyed. If one of us wasn't in the room, AJ could make whole building stand on their feet. No lie, he was louder than police sirens until he didn't get what he wanted. These were actually my neighbour's words. She would poke me on the street every time we went out asking what happened this time, why did AJ cry. He wasn't fond of her, neither did I, to be honest.

It was a pretty bad habit, but could I blame my son for wanting to be in my arms? Impossible.

I kissed his head and cooed when he yawned into my neck. I brought him closer. I was so in love with him. I remember when he was so little that I was scared to hold him, now he fit perfectly in my arms.

– I'm feeling left out there. – Joe pouted leaning in. I giggled wrapping my free arm around him, rubbing his shoulder softly.

*

– I'm back! – I said shutting the door behind me and locking it. I could feel the smell of dinner before I even came in. Joe soon showed up putting one finger on his lips, signalling I should lower my voice. I nodded my hand going towards kitchen with many bags in my hands. He tried to take them from me, but I disagreed. Even if his ribs should have been already healed, I didn't believe this. It was only a theoretical date of five weeks, I still could see how he held his breath and gritted his teeth every time he picked Aiden up or even when he was putting clothes on. Of course he wouldn't tell me any of this, but there were days when he would lay down pretending he was just sleepy and I knew he was suffering. I hated his stubborn personality, but mine wasn't much different.