Semi Finals - Variations on a Theme

The sky is dismal and washed with a shade of muck.

The large blue seal scatters the dying sky and parts the darkened clouds with its brilliant intensity.

Apollo Leier and Teal Sears. 

You turn to your allies as the faces slide from sight leaving you to realise a stalking truth. Only five others now stand between you and victory. Doubt dances on the tip of your tongue as you recall Alithia’s words.

“In exactly twenty four hours, the bonds attaching you together will be released...”

You begin to say something but soon the wind picks up; whistling an unfamiliar harmony. The air becomes colder and a pale mist begins to surround you, blocking out your vision. When you open your eyes, nothing but the icy winds greet you.

 “Freedom is but an illusion.” A ghostly whisper sings from the dark mist. A voice you know all too well; Vinella Cola. Her image brightens the sky, her lips burning an electric blue and her face tight and youthful.

“Do any of you know why you are here... hmm?” she asks with a bold smile, “If one wishes to contain a poisonous flower from blooming, they must wrap it tight in barbed wire.” Each of her words sounds as though the strike of a whip.

“The marks on your arm have faded as much as they can but I’m afraid is forever permanent... for all but one at least.” She laughs coldly. “You’re alone. Free to continue and do whatever you can to win. Things are only going to get harder. Try hard my little darlings... and may the odds be ever in your favour.”

Task:

- This task will be as though normal. We’re not challenging your character but instead, challenging you as a writer.

- Below are ASSIGNED-TO-CHARACTER pieces of instrumental music. Your task is to write your entry based on that piece of specific music and the inspiration it brings to you. We expect to feel the mood of the music in your writing.

- WARNING: your character cannot hear the music. Your entry is simply inspired by it.

Doomsday by Murray Gold – Diamond Fabulo

Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis – Blissia Valiant

Hoppipolla by Sigur Ros – Gizmo Glitch

Wheel of Fortune by Hans Zimmer – Coral Beaudelaire

Narnia Battle Theme by Harry Gregson-Williams – Elmo Wattson

Spirited Away Theme: One Summer's Day by Joe Hisaishi – Vixen Axwell 

- Found easily on YouTube, we have posted links below with your names beside them. These are not negotiable. We spent a lot of thought and time on pairing the songs to the character and we hope you respect that.

- You may kill TWO people in this task though the death count does not matter nor will ballot deaths be accepted. Immunity will be granted to two tributes based entirely off their entry. These two will go straight to the finals and the other four will go up for public vote.

- Word count: 1,500.

- Deadline: 22.00 Capitol Time [10 PM GMT] Saturday 11th of May.