The Grande Finale - Blissia Valiant

[Please refer to the Voting Changes chapter before voting]

Trumpets blare and drums thunder to the sound of my victory. I can only smile. I’m a winner – I always was. I deserve this. Not the runts the reaping had sadly collected. Me. I stand – sheeted in a silky red cloth. A crown sat before me eagerly anticipating the moment it shares with me my victory.

It’s exactly how I pictured it when I stood backstage, waiting for my interview. I smile... at long last; the colourful wave of the capitol swarm at my feet...

Yet... it is still I under their heel; it is still I who must sit and bark when commanded. 

So here you have it. Blissia Valiant’s five step programme on how to ‘win’

Step One – Submit.

From the line of mentors, Luxure Amarta, twice the victor from one, smiles politely through a concealed hatred. I outlived Diamond; Apollo too. And today, I wear their blood in the shape of a capitol couture dress. Today she submits to me.

As I must to my president.

Alithia Warwell stands directly before me in a charcoal suit; one only to match her cold expression and tone.

“Congratulations.” She states like a tin robot. “You have earned it.” 

I reply with a small bow and a stubborn glare though her steel cold eyes seem to look past me, as if I’m not really here at all.

“Well ladies and gentlemen! Every rose has its thorns! I give you, Blissia Valiant!” Kahve stirs the crowd to a restless storm of excitement. The sound that greets my name fills my gut with waves of golden silk. When you win you truly feel invincible. But you’ll never be such a thing.  

In war, victory means temporary peace. I know I’m not necessarily safe now; Claudine always told me the hardest part comes later. I remember she’d say “Always be a victor but never be the winner.”

Because the Capitol holds that title.

“So Blissia... Ah Blissia. It feels like only yesterday we sat here at the interviews.” Kahve gleams that warm smile I’ve somewhat missed.

“Yes, indeed it does...” I think back to the hazy moment.

“You were so sure you were going to win, even back then!”

“Of course I was! In MY district, we say death is just an excuse for the weak.” I grin bravely at the audience. They nod in reply – lapping each litre of my brilliance. 

It isn’t long before my interview draws to a close. Next the crowd converse their excitement for the highlights. So much bloodshed, shortened to just a day. Soon I’ll be on my way home. To Gliss, Atticus and the others! Oh... the look on my Mothers face.

Three hours and I can laugh as she tightens her lips in disappointment.

And the screen slowly slides down. 

Step Two – Survive.

The cornucopia comes and goes in the form of some glossed up montage. My past self is yet to make an appearance and I begin to wonder what my reaction will be upon seeing my past self. Seeing a girl that will be so naive in what’s to come.

I’ve got to remember, from now on; I’m always being watched.

We come quickly to day two – the first day before we were forced into our alliances. I feel my right arm itch... the names still scarred onto my wrist.