Chapter 3:7: Strange Happenings - Judgment Day

While we were speeding along the highway, Bob asked so many questions.

"Hey Jay, are you okay? Good thing I still see you alive. Can I ask you about what are those things back there?"

"Bob, stop it for a moment. The nurses are still in trauma and even I do", I said, while I was still thinking of what happened.

"I’m sorry Jay. I’m also traumatized. I still can’t move on."

"You know something Bob? It’s not food poisoning that killed them. The epidemic is something to do with the lake. It is purely compromised and contaminated. The fishes that live there acquired the toxins. I know that it’s a very special kind of toxin that was being dumped there."

"We better get to the lake Jay. I wonder what happened to the boys."

We made a U-Turn and we backtracked to the lake.

"Officer, are you alright?” Ashyra asked me.

She inspected my right leg, and she saw a wound on my right knee.

"Let me take care of this, Officer", she said, as she got a cotton ball with antiseptic solution, and cleaned my wound.

"Oh!” I moaned in pain.

"Lay still Officer. It’s not so deep. There you go", she said.

"Thanks Ashyra", I said.

"No Officer, thank you because you saved us.”

"Yeah cowboy! You did it again!” Bob exclaimed.

"Haha! That should put me back in the force", I kiddingly said.

"Yeah baby! Wait, here we are now."

We arrived at the lake, and the whole RPD squad was still under the sun.

"Chief, look what we have here. It’s Former Officer Styles, and look what he has in store for us, some beautiful ladies. So Styles, have you already overcome your insanity? What is this? Is this a gift for us to please you to return to the force? You’re still getting out of hand, aren’t you?", Chris asked, while he was confronting me.

"You know Chris; the crazy man you're referring to right now is still yourself! Those women you’re referring to as hooters are the survivors from the hospital. I have been there for 24 hours so please, give me a break from your foolish ranting!” I shouted at him.

"Styles, what do you mean, they are survivors?” Chief asked.

"Well Chief, if it’s not for Simmons, I wouldn’t be showing myself to you right now. According to the news 24 hours ago, the Rushford Hospital has been quarantined due to an illness that I couldn’t be understood. The dumping of the unknown toxins has been the responsible for the epidemic. I thought that it’s food poisoning, but now I know that it’s more than that", I explained.

"You know Chief; if you still don’t trust me, get them some testimonies, even Simmons right away. Now, if you still trust your sly dog Chris, you’ll soon regret this", I continued and warned.

"Chief, don’t believe in him. He’s still lying to you. He’s just fooling anyone", Chris added.

"No Chris, you heard the man. Get some testimonies because I want to know everything", Chief commanded.

I teasingly smiled at Chris, and he frowned back at me.

"Chief! Chief! I see a group of people approaching us by the shore!” a policeman shouted.

He was right. I saw a mob of people walking by the shore, too. I thought they were the only ones left.

"Alright people, let’s move!” Chief commanded.

The half of the squad approached the group of people. Suddenly, I saw something unusual of how they were moving.

"Bob! Fetch me some binoculars!"

As I saw through it, I found out that they were already dead also, like the ones we encountered back at the hospital!

"Team, all back!” I shouted.

They didn’t hear me. Momentarily, they began to drop themselves and get eaten alive!

"Bob! Get me a gun and look after the nurses!” I shouted.

"Chief, we must lock and load now!"

The remaining policemen on my side fetched also their guns and waited for Chief’s signal.

"Wait for it! Wait for it!"

"Return fire!” that was the signal.

Our guns flared at the group of the dead. Multiple gunshots were dropping them down. Finally. . .

"Cease fire! Hold your fire!” Chief shouted.

We thought we finished them all, but still, they stood back up like robots.

"What are those things? Our artillery won’t take them down completely. Maybe we should call our backup now", Chief said.

"Chief, it’s too late for that. They’re coming a foot away. We should get to a place something safe now!” I exclaimed.

"Holy crap! Jay, you got to see this right now! I don’t think they’re the only ones left!” Bob shouted.

I approached him, and yes, another wave of the dead was busy making the beeline for us. They were walking desperately along the highway, reaching us for their next round of meal time.

“Chief! We have to leave this place now!" I shouted at him.

"For the love of . . . ! What happened to Rushford now?” Chief sighed.

"Enough with the chatter! Let’s go! Bob, get in the car with the ladies!” I shouted.

"Gentlemen, hold the line!” Chief suddenly said.

"No Chief! You’re all making a big mistake!”

"Ignore him gentlemen! Hold the line!"

"Jay! We have to get out of here now!" Bob shouted.

I had no choice, but for the sake of the survivors, I would consider this as my mission until the end. I got in the car and drove swiftly away from the wave.