Chapter 7:4: Horrifying Halfway To The End - Trusting A Villain

Everyone was quiet, due to the sad loss of Bob and Chief. I still couldn’t move on from the fact that they were already gone.

Meanwhile, Diane and Brock began to have a conversation.

"I’ve just found some good news. Randall is still alive", Diane said.

"No way! Really?! Are you serious?!" Brock asked.

"Yes, I am. Jacob and I had just received a transmission from him at Wintergreen. He’s probably at the outpost right now."

Suddenly, Brock looked at me. After that, he continued to speak to Diane.

"What about him? Does he know all about Randall?"

"Too much of him. He said that we don’t need to trust him at all."

"You’re talking about Randall Arkline, aren't you?" Virgil suddenly interrupted.

"Yes. Why? Do you know something about him?" Diane asked.

"Just a little. He’s the foster son of Sir Richard."

"Foster son?"

"I knew it from the start that Robert fathers Randall. . ."

"Yes, I know that, but the fact that Richard also fathers him?"

"Yes."

"That’s why, I’ll never trust him", I said.

They all looked at me.

"What is wrong with you Jacob? This is not all due to Chief and Bob's death!" Diane yelled at me.

"I’m not talking about that. Randall is working for Halford, so we can’t trust him!"

"We all need him Jacob that is why; we have to get there, so we can escape!"

I turned my back on them, to try to think further about making up my mind of trusting him.

"I think that he returned here for his brother. If he finds out that I killed him, he will kill me."

After saying that, I faced them now.

"We had our fair stakes. He made us all suffer here. On the other hand, I made his brother suffer death. That was the way it should be."

"Jacob, you must reconciliate with Randall, for the sake of us here. You promised, right?" Ashyra said.

"Yes, I promised that I would get you all out of here. Unfortunately, not with Randall."

"Jacob, stop being selfish now! Listen to us, not only to yourself!" Brock shouted.

"I’m not being selfish. I’m just being truthful that he’s not alright with us."

"Trust us Jacob. Please?" Diane begged.

I kept silent for a minute.

"There you go again. Come on! Why can't you just make up your mind this instant?" Brock asked.

Eventually . . .

"Alright, alright. I get it."

"Come on now Jacob. Give me a hug!" he exclaimed.

"No, thank you."

"Okay!"

"So, you won’t change your mind, will you?" Diane asked.

"Not anymore."

Fortunately, they all rejoiced to what I just decided. Trusting a villain was very hard from the start, but when I learned about it clearly, I would then realize that it wasn’t a big deal after all.