Chapter 5:5: The City As Its Worst - A Journey Of A Lifetime Part II

"Come on, you rascals! You all reek!"

Continuing the action as I proceeded down the basement, many infected were tailing me. Some were already hanging on the back of the bus.

"Damn all of you! I’m not going to quit!"

The basement was too small for crazy driving, so I sped straight ahead and watched the dead end cautiously.

"You’ll all regret this!"

I eagerly parked hard at the end, bumping the bus so hard at a stationary wall. As I began my escape, I brought the gun and the last grenade with me. Suddenly, the infected were already blocking my exit.

"Oh! Come on! Have you heard of a bus stop lately?"

I had no choice, but to break myself free. I went throughout the window and climbed up the top.

"This should eat you all first."

I cooked the grenade and tossed it inside the bus, then I jumped to the ledge near the back door immediately.

"Boom!"

I hung on the ledge and gripped myself up, and then I eventually came up at the door. As I opened it, another wave of infected was closing to my position. I swiftly entered and locked the door. I planned to barricade it with heavy carts of basket balls.

"Hmm, I made it."

Suddenly, I heard something at the sports' closet.

"Who’s that?" I asked, as I armed my gun.

I walked along the baseball gears' section and along the sports' wear section. The noise was getting louder, like the sound of someone who’s munching under the dining table.

"Come on now Bob. You can’t do that in here.”

I took my step again for the last time and I immediately opened the closet. Surprisingly, a bloody janitor was munching on a salesman!

"Oh great!" I stood back by surprise.

"Rrrrroooooaaaaarrrrr!!!!!" the infected growled at me.

Instantly, it jumped and began to restrain me. I accidentally threw my gun away. I punched it several times to escape, but it was still gripping on me too hard.

"I could use a bath after this!" I exclaimed. I got its blood all over me.

I swiftly turned around and I gripped on his neck to choke him down. It was still twitching some more. I ended it up by breaking his neck.

"Hmm! Hmm! What a relief", I gasped, as I sat down for a moment.

After several minutes, the barricaded door began to be battered with force from the other side. I descended the stairs hastily and dropped by the lobby.

"Styles, what took you so long? We’re having our dessert now", Chief asked, while he was eating a blueberry cheesecake.

"Guys, we have to get out of here now!" I hysterically shouted.

"What’s the hurry now Jay? Come and join us. You’re just hungry", Bob said, while munching on cookies.

"I’m dead serious! They’re coming for us!"

"Wait. Where's our bus?" Diane asked me.

I scratched my head and said, "I blew it up."

"No, you didn’t just do it again!” Brock fumed in anger.

"Cool yourself Brock. They’ve come running after me, so I had no choice but to blow it up."

"So do you have in mind now what car will we use? Don’t tell us that we’ll all stay inside this abandoned mall and wait for those cannibals to get in here and eat us!"

"We’re not going to die here because we’re all going to survive this until the end, so stop the blaming part and let’s go now", Debbie said.

"Jacob did the right thing. If he dies, so are we", Ashyra said.

"You know what? All you care about is him. Jacob here and Jacob that. Do you still have any suggestions to come up with, other than him?" Brock enviously asked.

We all just stared at him without a word.

"Brock, I’m on your side. If you hate me so much, say it right through my face. All I want to do is to help ourselves get out here. Debbie’s right. We’re not going to die here. I say, I need your help and also, everyone needs you now until the end. So please, you need to trust me, the way you trust them", I said it in front of him.

Brock seemed to think it deeply. After a few minutes . . .

"Okay, alright. I’m sorry that I let you down every time you stick with your own plan. I’m on this team now and forever and you’re right that nobody dies. From now on, I’ll never doubt you again, ever."

"Come on now Brock. Don’t let us cry", Bob said, weeping pretentiously.

"Give them a moment, Simmons", Chief said.

"No Chief. We need to assemble ourselves now!" I yelled.

“Rrrrroooooaaaaarrrrr!!!!!”

Suddenly, we heard several growls from the department store.

"There’s the weapons' shop", Diane said; as she pointed it out at a distance.

"Okay, here’s the plan: Diane, go to it and grab as many weapons as you can. Brock, grab any necessary equipment. Chief and Serge, keep a tight look out. Ashyra, Debbie and Hunnigan, see if you can grab as many snacks as you can. Bob, keep an eye on the nurses. Carl, get on the second floor and snipe everything that moves. Use Diane's rifle", I instructed them all.

"Wait. What are you going to do?" Brock asked me.

"I’ll fetch us up a new ride."

"Get it cowboy, while it’s still hot", Bob teasingly said.

"Yeah, yeah, very clever Bob. Alright people, double time!"