Chapter 4:6: The Outbreak - Courage Under Fire

"Brock, are we there yet?" Diane asked him, as she opened her eyes. She didn’t know that she slept all the time.

"I didn’t see any gas station so far. Instead, all I can see is a path covered with collided cars, and dead people", Brock replied.

"Is Chief still there?"

"Yes, he’s still there, hanging out."

Diane check him if he’s okay. She saw him sleeping at the back of the van.

"Hey Diane, do you still have any bread rolls left?" Brock asked her.

"Here. Take mine", she said, as she handed him her last bread roll.

"Oh, yeah! Goody! Thanks!"

Suddenly, as he got back on his driving . . .

"Brock, watch out!"

"Oh, crap! You’ve got to be kidding me!"

Brock had just hit someone along the highway!

"Hold on!"

Brock stepped on the brake pedal and the van screeched at the edge of the side plank. Apparently, they stopped in front of a ruined gas station.

"Oh come on! We just missed it! Brock exclaimed in frustration, as he stared at the gas station on flames.

"Brock, come with me! Let’s help the man!" Diane shouted at him, as she approached the man.

As they ran to the man, Chief suddenly recognized his face. The man was wearing casuals but it was a little bit torn up. Apparently, he had been there recently.

"Are you all right?" Diane asked me.

"Diane, stay away from him. You don’t want to get bitten, do you?" Brock warned her, while he was pointing his gun at me.

"Ashfield, put it down. He’s not infected. I know him. He used to be my teammate, and one of my boys." Chief said.

He checked me up.

"Aaaahhhh!!!! Damn it! I think I broke my arm", I moaned in pain.

"Styles?! Is that you?! You’re still alive!”

"Damn it, Chief. What took you so long, huh?! Where are the boys? What happened to them?”

He just bowed his head, “None of them was left alive.”

The two just looked at each other and asked, "Who is he Chief?"

"Montgomery and Ashfield, this is Jacob Styles of the RPD. Styles, this is Diane Montgomery and Brock Ashfield, Rushford Secret Service and Special Ops", Chief introduced.

"Ashfield? Wait . . . Ashyra!"

I suddenly forgot about what happened to them. Maybe, they went straight to the airport.

I got up from my stance and I walked a bit far from them.

"Damn, Ashyra. We have to get to the airport now”, I told them.

Brock suddenly approached him and asked, "Wait! You know about my sister?! Where is she?!"

"What? She’s your sister? She hasn't told me anything about you, since we’d been together.”

Brock suddenly gripped on my shirt and pointed his gun at my stomach.

"Tell me where she is, or I’ll blow your guts off!"

"Listen to me Brock. I told them to go the airport this instant. She’s not alone because she’s with her friends: Hunnigan and Debbie, with a police escort named Bob Simmons."

"Simmons? Simmons is with you?" Chief suddenly asked me.

"Yes Chief. We’re on our way now to the airport to find any planes available there for escape. Unfortunately, we’ve just passed here at the gas station to find some gas. After we rested and packed up, we saw that reckless tanker truck, which has separated us from our plan”, I narrated.

"Let him go, Brock", Diane told him.

He calmly let go of me.

"You better make sure that they’re still alive right now because you don’t know exactly what we’ve been through", he added.

"Everyone let’s still proceed with the plan. We have to go to the airport as quick as possible. After we gassed up, we wouldn’t stop anymore until we get there", Chief instructed.

"Styles, we just received a report from the soldiers of the outpost yesterday. They need our help to evacuate from the airport. We hope that they’re still alive right now. Let’s not waste time. Move out!" Chief commanded.

We proceeded back in the van, and hoped for a useful gas station to be found.

"Styles, can you still contact Simmons?" Chief asked me.

"I’m sorry Chief. I lost my radio”, I replied.

"Alright. Styles, we have weapons, armor and equipment, if you’re interested."

"Don’t worry Chief, I can still fight. Let me have them."

Brock and Diane proceeded in the driver's seat, as Chief and I proceed at the back.

"We must find a real gas station that doesn’t reek. I can still use a rest room", Brock said, while he was starting the van.

"Good idea, Brock", Diane said.

"We’re going to reach the airport in no time and I’ll make sure that my sister will still see his brother alive."