Chapter 9:1: Death And Rebirth - Done By Will

"Station 1, report", Richard commanded his henchman.

"Sir, the aerial strike has been confirmed. The virus has been completely eradicated", the henchman replied.

"Good work."

He turned his back, and then, he approached Lieutenant Styles.

"Lieutenant, my work there’s done. I want you to inform your men at the drawbridge to return here, if they’ve survived the nuclear attack", he told him.

"Copy that", Lieutenant replied.

As he was about to open the door of the office, Richard continued to talk.

"Lieutenant, I know who accompanied Private Leo Garner on killing my daring associate Colonel Stevenson. He’s someone who I can’t forget, with the troubles that he caused me ever since we arrived here in this city."

"And who is it?" Lieutenant asked.

Richard suddenly got up from his seat, and then, he glanced at the window.

"It’s Randall. That sly coyote! He left me here, looking for a missing piece of a puzzle, but unfortunately misfits it. I must find him, before he makes a scandal out of me!"

"Relax Richard. I know that you have infinite hopes of becoming the most powerful man in the world, excluding the President of the United States.  What else could possibly go wrong?" Lieutenant stated.

Suddenly, Richard thought deeply for a moment. Then, he continued to talk.

"You know what Lieutenant, you’re absolutely right. You got brains over brawns, as same as I do."

"I’m very glad to be your new associate, Richard. Halford Inc. can neither be stopped by anyone nor anything", Lieutenant said.

"Lieutenant, we’re both indestructible. As what you’ve witnessed, we destroyed the city before we could have alerted the innocent civilians here in Flintmore", Richard said.

"So, what gives? We must influence the whole world", Lieutenant suggested.

"Don’t be so hasty. Soon, the whole world will be superb. We just need time to produce more samples to be delivered to our investors. When we do, the whole world will bow to us. Just wait for the time. We’re not yet focused on our new and improved work which will infect not only humans, but also, every living thing in the world."

"What are you talking about? A genetically-enhanced serum?"

"Two days ago after a few stroll in the woods, I found a plant that is capable of producing chemotherapeutic extracts, responsible for cell phagocytosis of foreign bodies in human anatomy. It’s a great discovery for health concerns."

"And what is it?"

"It’s a native plant that grows particularly in Southwest Asia and Europe, so we better take advantage of this forest because this plant is rarely found here in America. Its name is Vinca."

"So, are you saying that the extracts are derived purely from a plant?"

"Lieutenant, we don’t need to hunt animals anymore. Instead of chasing them around in the woods, why don’t we just grow something? Besides, it’s very heinous to harm animals."

Lieutenant suddenly turned his back at Richard and thought deeply. After that, he whispered something to himself.

"I already had enough of endangering lives. I hope that I could do something about this."