Chapter 5:8: The City At Its Worst - Never Backed Down

"Hey! Wake up! Everybody wake up!"

Diane woke up and she saw them injured. She stood up and checked if everyone was alright.

"Is everybody still alive?"

"Yeah, we just had some scratches", Bob said, checking his right arm.

"Ashyra, patch them up. I know that you got the first aid kit from Carl."

The nurses began their responsibilities. Diane continued to check everything and everyone, and then she thought that someone’s missing.

"Wait a minute. Where’s Jacob?"

"We don’t know where he is", Hunnigan replied.

"You know what? To tell you the truth, that guy of yours is always missing in action, like Chuck Norris", Virgil told Chief.

"Who’s Chuck Norris?" Brock asked him.

Virgil just stared at him without a clue.

"Okay guys listen, whether we like it or not, we still proceed with our plan. There’s the subway now and it’s only a couple of walks away from here", Bob said.

"Okay ladies and gentlemen. Let’s move out", Chief said.

They busted the bus door open and they climbed out of it.

"Take a look around guys. There are no infected roaming here at all", Brock surprisingly said.

He was right. The city was already empty. Only the breeze of the cool wind was touching their skins. There was no sign of everything and everyone, especially my presence.

"There’s still no sign of Styles out here. I have a hunch that he’s now wandering inside the subway", Chief said.

"Then, let’s get him alive now. I’ll check the entrance first. Wait for my go", Virgil volunteered.

He ran downstairs to the subway, as the others waited for him outside. After a few seconds, he returned.

"Bad news: The entrance has been sealed off. We can’t enter through here."

"That’s impossible. We’re not here for a fare, we’re here for a ride back home", Brock said.

"I’m sorry. Unfortunately, a wrecked train has just barricaded the entrance. Let’s hope that wasn’t the last transport."

Everyone began to frustrate at each other.

"Not again!" Brock shouted.

"How are we supposed to get to Wintergreen fast?" Debbie asked.

"Don’t despair guys. If this tunnel is already blocked, I’m pretty sure that the other one’s not, so quit messing around and let’s go to the opposite tunnel", Diane said.

"Good idea. Let’s move!" Chief said.

They passed by the alley as a shortcut to the next subway tunnel. They didn’t stop running, until they got there. A few moments later, they’d already arrived.

"Just as what you’ve thought about, Montgomery. It’s open", Virgil told me.

"Thank God! Now we can actually get out of here", Hunnigan sighed.

"Yeah Diane!" Brock exclaimed.

When they descended the flight of stairs, they actually saw darkness. It looked like it was out of power.

"Bring out your flashlights. We can’t move in here lurking in the dark", Chief said.

"Okay. This is our other problem. We can’t have another train without the power. We must fix things up first", Brock suggested.

"Alright. Let’s find the power source, so we can also light this up. We should separate. Chief and I will find a network station here to still try to contact the outpost for our evacuation. You and Montgomery locate the power source and open it up immediately. Simmons, watch over them and meet us at the middle platform. Try also to locate survivors on your way there. Everybody clear?" Virgil instructed and asked.

They all nodded at his plan and they started to go to their positions.

"One last thing everyone, if you see Styles strolling around here somewhere, be sure to capture him up so that we won’t be disturbed right before our escape", Chief ordered.

"Yes Chief. We’ll find him. I know that he’s still alive", Diane complied.