Chapter 6:5: Deliberation - Leo's Betrayal Part II

It was a pleasant day, when it was already time to take out one of Richard's most precious resources.

Every minute, Randall was looking at his wrist watch to guarantee any shining moment for him to depend on and it looked like his momentum would explode later at the meeting.

"My beloved comrades, it’s now our time for our very first mission here in Flintmore. We gathered around here for just one purpose: to ensure the everlasting safety of our beloved citizens from any notorious and inevitable attacks. Take Rushford, for instance. We all know that city used to be a peaceful one, but now, everything in that place had been shattered due to an epidemic attack that turned its citizens into flesh-eating zombies. We heard the news all over there, that the epidemic was due to food poisoning but it stated a very false reaction. Until now, we still don’t know what truly happened at Rushford."

It was a voice over from the speaker. Colonel Stevenson was making his daring speech to his comrades.

"I’ll be meeting with the President in an hour, so I want your cooperation. We’ll accommodate the Flintmore Park, which is at the heart of this city. It’s a perfect place for the President to experience the vicinity's serenity and to feel the clean air breeze. It’s also a perfect place for the citizens to be informed about the incoming contingency plan."

"The plan's details are not important to be told right here and now because you’ll all hear it later as I make my speech. What you’re all going to do is to place the park into a high-secured alert. That means, no one and nothing makes any irrelevant contacts with the President and with his officials. Keep a frozen eye on the facades and buildings for any snipers. Heighten securities in and out of the park, which means that you should all maintain the area firearm-free. Let us all do our responsibilities. We’re all in-charge of everything's safety. Do you have any violent reactions regarding this?"

There was a silence after that. Suddenly, Leo began to signal Randall through the radio.

". . . Randall, Randall. Do you hear me?"

". . . I read you Leo. What now?"

". . . The meeting is adjourned. We’ll now proceed to the park. I’ve just left you the key to that cell inside that bag beside you. Stay still and wait for my go before you advance."

". . . Copy that."

Apparently, Colonel walked at a distance and made his way here in front of him, up to the exit, together with his soldiers. They all just stared at him, as they made a beeline straight along the hallway. Moments later, Leo passed him by and gave him a "get ready" look.

After several minutes, Randall heard the roaring trucks and flying choppers sped away. Then, Leo made his call again.

". . . Randall, the coast’s clear. Open the bag also for the transmitter, for you to make sure of our direction. Don’t get lost and watch your back. Go now."

". . . Alright, I’m moving out now."

He opened the bag and just like what Leo told him, there was the transmitter and the key to the cell, aside from the weapons. He unlocked the cell and he started to arm himself, then he made his way outside.

As he was already out, he noticed that all the transportations had already been used by the infantry, so he walked a little bit farther from the outpost to hail a taxi nearby.

After few minutes . . .

"Flintmore Park and step on it", he told the driver.

"Are you in a hurry Sir?” the driver asked him.

"Yes, I am. I don’t want to miss Colonel Stevenson's speech. Do you care about it?"

"Do I care?! He’s my idol! Come on, let’s go. Don’t worry about the fare. It’s on me."

"Thank you. Let’s go now. I don’t want to miss the big show, and I’m sure, you don’t want to miss it, too", Randall lastly said, as he sat comfortably.