Chapter 4:2: The Outbreak - Secrets

"Don’t worry about the sea, Arkline. We’ll be in land shortly", Richard said, while he was sitting still beside Randall.

After they dumped all the remaining H-Virus samples into the lake, they ended their plan by going to Wintergreen, which was truly the home of the Halford Military Outpost. They traveled by water to avoid any contact with the infected and not to alert everyone who was still alive that they were making their escape from the epidemic that they planned.

"Why are you lonely, Arkline? Isn’t that great that we’re able to escape this catastrophic city with just a snap of our fingers?", Richard asked him.

Randall was just staring at the infested waters and at the distant city. He was silent about anything he wanted to talk about.

"I can see the love and the compassion in your eyes. Very well, you must know the truth; everyone should not exist until the end, and I’m referring to all the people who have disgusted, who have betrayed, who have deceived, and who have underestimated Halford Inc., my abilities. They should have trusted me with their whole lives, but they failed to do it. That is why, I took all the insults that they threw at me, but in return, I gave them a special gift that they should accept with all their hearts", he continued.

"You haven’t told me anything about my father and my brother! You lied to me that I’m alone and I don’t have any family to lean on!", Randall stood up from his seat, as he shouted at him.

"You’re now being disrespectful, Arkline! Don’t raise your tone at your father!"

"Father? I’m not your son!"

"I raise you every day of my life as a hero of Halford!"

"I didn’t ask for any of this!"

"You better behave now, Randall. There’s no way that you can disobey me. After all, I’m your life and I’m your death. Pretty simple, so don’t take it as complicated as how you see yourself now!"

"What if I can do that damn thing that you’re opposing of?” Randall asked him, as he quickly took out his gun and pointed it at him.

The sentries began to point their guns at Randall.

"Remember what I told you before Randall; I’m your father. I’m your blood, your soul and your life. You can’t turn your back from where you came from. It’s impossible for you to deny me as your father", he ended.

Apparently, they reached the outpost. This was one of the most heavily-fortified places in Rushford, wherein restriction was its number one rule.

They descended from their motor boat, and entered the outpost. This was the only place that was living; after all, this was the first place that knew about the viral outbreak. The soldiers were all lined up, except for the others who were spying from the watch towers.

As they marched along the field, Richard started to approach a very decent man in a commander suit. He must be the Colonel.

"I’m so sorry to keep you waiting, Colonel. We just got our things first, before we left the complex", Richard apologized, as he shook his hands with the man.

"It’s alright, Mr. Halford. We prepared the choppers ready for take-off. By the way, is he your son who you always brag me about?" Colonel asked him.

Randall looked straight at Richard’s eyes, leaving him with a doubt.

"Yes Colonel. This is Randall Arkline. Randall, this is Colonel Stevenson, the command person of the whole infantry."

"It’s very nice to meet you, Mr. Arkline. Say, is he completely trained to be your guard?" he shook Randall’s hand, while he was asking Richard.

"Someday Colonel, he’ll be replacing my throne as the new ‘Ruler of Halford’, the title that can’t be tarnished by time", Richard replied, with a smile.

"Hahaha! Still you haven’t changed, my friend. Come now. Let me show you the choppers for our escape."

They passed by the training soldiers. They were physically-trained ready for deployment.

"So Colonel, where are they planning to go?" Richard asked.

"I’ve deployed a group of soldiers at the airport just this morning, to check if there are any survivors left", Colonel replied.

"So, you’re making your name as a good guy in a movie?"

"Hahaha! I’ve always wanted to turn myself a new leaf because I know that I’m being a sinner all the time.”

While Randall was listening to their conversation, he discovered that they still wanted to make their names by being pretentious. He knew the truth behind that Colonel only wanted to deploy his soldiers in different parts of the city, just to “kill” them, for good. That’s called passive killing, which means that the mastermind’s not the manslaughter, but he still kills people.

That was the reason why Richard was very powerful among his henchmen, because they were his "Puppets", and of course, greediness was involved with the power of his wealth.

"Hey kid, are you alright?” Colonel unexpectedly approached Randall.

"Yes Sir", he replied.

"Come on. It’s time to go."

The choppers were ready for take-off. Randall saw some soldiers lining up the pad. Richard and Colonel were getting inside the chopper.

"Come on Randall. Get in!” Richard exclaimed.

Randall glanced at the city for the last time, and he waved his hand goodbye.

"Diane, we’ll meet again. I promise. Wait for me, and I’ll come back for you", he whispered, as he got in the chopper.