Chapter 8:5: Turning Over History - The Evacuation Plan Part II

"Rrrrroooooaaaaarrrrr!!!!!"

The growls of the infected were being heard behind the door of this room.

"Papa, Je suis tellement peur", Hannah said. (I am so scared.)

"Ne vous inquiétez pas. Je ne vous quittera jamais", Hudson said, as he hugged her tight. (Do not worry. I will never leave you.)

After his statement, he turned on me and said:

"You know Jacob; the only thing that makes her strong amidst this nightmare is our solidarity as a family. If one dies in frustration, agony, grieve or pain, the whole family doesn’t exist anymore."

I just kept quiet after his philosophy.

"Anyway friend, I got something that may interest you."

He opened the cabinet full of utility equipment, and then, he grabbed a radio. He turned it on, but a static sound was heard. Eventually, a familiar voice was emitted.

". . . Citizens of Rushford, if you can hear this transmission right now, you are not mistaken that there is still hope. This is Randall Arkline, reporting from the military outpost here at Wintergreen. I am currently sending this transmission now. If you can hear me, do not hesitate to come here for your needs. I will provide safety, security, food, shelter and a chopper ready for us to fly away from here. Please respond if you get this. My frequency is 180.8. I repeat; my frequency is 180.8. Respond as soon as possible. I will be waiting."

"There Jacob. What do you think?" Hudson continued.

"My friends have been there two days ago. I’m sure that they’re in nowhere right now", I replied.

"What do you mean by that?" Clarisse asked.

"That place, Wintergreen, is already a history. There’s no reason for us of going there anymore."

"Wait. How about going to Flintmore?" she asked again.

"How can you be so sure that it’s free from infection?" Hudson asked.

"I don’t know."

"Flintmore is just a bridge away from this city. It can’t be that bad", I said.

"To tell you the truth, we haven’t been there, not even for the first time", Clara interrupted.

"I think, we should go there", I said.

"But why? We’re still not sure of that place", Hudson said.

"I know that my friends are going there, I just know it."

"Is it your hunch?" Clarisse asked.

"No, it’s not just a hunch, but also a feeling of reality."

Clarisse walked around the room, and said:

"You know guys; I’ll go with his plan. I know that you don’t want to be stuck here also, just like I do."

I looked at Hudson, and then, he said:

"I want safety so bad, not just for me, but also for my family. I say, Allons!" (Let us go!)

"Whatever that means, let’s do it. In the meantime, we have to think of getting out of this room without bothering them", I said.

"How should we do that?", Carla asked.

"Do you have any weapons?"

Hudson got his rucksack, and then, he unzipped it. Inside it were tranquilizer guns, seven empty vials, a M4 Carbine Assault Rifle with five clips of ammo, two flashlights, a box of shotgun shells for his Benelli M4, a 9mm Handgun with three magazines and two flashbang grenades.

"There you go. Is that enough?" he asked me.

"Yes. Alright, here’s the deal: we have to go to the rooftop as fast as we can, to get in your helicopter and then live happily ever after. All we have to do is to arm ourselves, be alert of the infected, and move quickly. Shoot everything that moves, right in the head. That should take them out fast", I instructed them.

"What about the monster that you told Harry and I about?" Clarisse asked.

"We don’t have much time to kill it. Besides, we can’t take serious damages anymore. We need to focus more on escaping than wasting time here."

"Okay Jacob. Have it your way."

"Alright guys. Let us pack up now. Gather everything you can. We are moving out", I said, as I locked and loaded.