And Now That I'm Without Your Kisses

Mitch wished he could be patient. Usually he was, but he was growing snappy. He was losing patience with himself. Sometimes when Scott wasn't home he would scream at himself in the mirror, wondering why he couldn't just be happy? He escaped from Abe. Scott was alive and loved him. He had everything he ever wanted, and yet he couldn't remember the last time he smiled. The last time "I'm fine" wasn't a lie. The last time when he didn't taste bile rising in the back of his throat after eating a small meal. The last time when his hands didn't shake. The last time when he didn't flinch away from strangers, from people he once trusted, from Scott. But now in Mitch's mind everyone was there to hurt him. Everyone was going to take him away.

Scott walked into the apartment and saw Mitch sobbing on the couch. Once he might have rushed over and wrapped his arms around the smaller man, but the man on the couch wasn't Mitch to him anymore. This Mitch was a stranger and Scott didn't know how to comfort him. But then growing apart was Scott's fault. Ignoring Mitch's pain, and soon they ceased to speak. And now they were strangers, not lovers. So, instead Scott dropped his jacket onto the hook and slipped off his shoes. He went to the microwave and put in some popcorn. Throughout the whole thing Mitch was still crying. When the popcorn finished he set the bowl next to Mitch before vanishing into his bedroom.

When the crying finally stopped Scott knew Mitch finally fell asleep. he went out to the living room and noticed the bowl of popcorn, completely full. Not one piece had been touched. Scott bit his lip, frustrated. Why had it come to this? How did he allow it to come to this? Why didn't he notice Mitch was slipping away? More importantly, why didn't he do anything to stop it?