Chapter 14- For Almost Killing You:

I ran through the forest so that I could get to him faster. When I got to the field, I looked around but didn’t see anyone.

“Now who could this be?” someone asked as they put their hands over my eyes. I smiled and chuckled.

“You’re such a dork.”

He laughed and dropped his hands as I turned around and hugged him.

“Took you long enough,” he said chuckling.

“Shut up. I’m here now, don’t worry, I know you’re scared to be alone but I’ll protect you,” I cooed and pinched his cheek. He swatted my hand away and I laughed. We began walking through the meadow and I told him about what all happened during school.

“You know, this Jacob guy doesn’t sound good.”

“What do you mean?” I asked confused.

“Well, he’s put you through all of this, and he just now decides to be all nice to you? I wouldn’t trust him.”

“He hasn’t given me any reason not to trust him,” I said. I didn’t notice he’d stopped walking until I looked over at him and he wasn’t beside me anymore. I looked back to see him standing there looking at me as if I was crazy.

“You are joking right?”

“What?”

“Please tell me you’re joking.”

“I’m not. And I don’t see why I should be.”

“Even after everything he’s put you through? Him being a douche and you just forgive him like that? After one conversation with him?”

“Well one I don’t see how it’s really any of your business what I do and who I talk to, and two, I never said I forgive him. I just said I’m going to let him make it up to me,” I snapped. Gosh, what the heck came over him? I turned and continued walking, but at a faster pace.

“Cassie,” he said and grabbed my arm. “Look I’m sorry. You’re right. It’s none of my business who you talk to or what you do. I just don’t want you to get hurt. You’re too…good.”

I felt myself smile at that. For some reason, Nate had become an over-protective brother over the past few days, especially with everything I’d told him about Jacob. But, I actually liked it. It felt good to be cared about by other people other than your parents-they’re supposed to care, they have no choice. And since my dad and I weren’t really on speaking terms yet-and the fact that I hadn’t seen him at all hardly-Nate was the only person I could really talk to about my problems and he would let me. He always wanted me to tell him what was going on in my life so that he could ‘make sure I was safe and beat up anyone that tried to hurt me’.

Nate wrapped an arm around my shoulder and we kept walking around the field. I knew he still wasn’t exactly calmed down from the whole Jacob thing. He’d never liked Jacob since I first told him what he’d been like to me. I thought it was a little weird at first-how much he hated him and everything-but after a while I realized he was just looking out for me.

“I still don’t see why you’re letting them do this,” he said after a while of silence.

“Letting who do what?”

“Your so-called ‘friends’ make up for what they did to you.”

“Everyone deserves a second chance,” I muttered.

“But they don’t deserve you. It was wrong the way they left you and how Jacob treats you. I don’t see why you’d give them the time of day.”