Chapter 23- I Hate Being Concussed:

I woke up with a jerk. My eyes flew open and I had to squint for a moment to be able to adjust to the bright light right in my eyes. Who would put a bright freaking white light right in a poor girl’s eyes who just woke up? Someone cold and heartless that’s who!

I groaned and tried to cover my eyes with my hand but something was holding it down. I kept tugging on it, but it wouldn’t come up to me. What is on me?!

I looked all around to see I was in a white hospital room and there were bright lights all above me. Why would they put these things right in my face so that I can wake up to them? Do they want me to go blind as soon as I wake up?

The smell of anesthetics was everywhere and it started to make me sick. My face scrunched up in disgust as I tried to not breathe in too much of the air. Now I know why people hate hospitals so much.

I tried to lift my hand to brush away a stray strand of hair that fell in my eyes, but I couldn’t move it. What did they do to me now; strap me down to the bed? That would be interesting, but I could see why they would have to do that with me. I’m a wild sleeper and I move around a lot. I would strap myself down just so that I wouldn’t fall off of this bed.

I looked down to see a tanned hand on my milk white one. My eyes followed the hand, up the arm, across the shoulder and to the most beautiful face I’ve ever seen. And he was sitting next to the bed, looking straight at me, watching my every move.

A strange feeling came over me at that moment. It was want. I wanted Jake. I wanted him more than I’ve ever wanted anything in my whole life. I tugged on his hand to get him to come closer to me. When he didn’t move, I frowned. Why wasn’t he getting up?

“I don’t want to hurt you,” he whispered. Well that answered that. But I was still upset.

“Please? You won’t hurt me, I promise,” I croaked. My throat was dry, but that was the last thing on my mind. I just wanted Jake’s arms around me. I wanted to feel safe in his hold.

He looked hesitant and stayed in his seat. I tugged on his hand again and whispered another please. He looked pained, but got up and crawled on the bed carefully, as if I was about to break if he touched me. I moved over more so that he could lay next to me. I wrapped my arm around his waist and pulled him closer to me and put my head on his chest. He gently wrapped his arms around me and I buried my face in his chest, inhaling his scent. My brain got fuzzy and my body hummed with excitement and happiness.  I was high, and I wasn’t coming down any time soon.

“How are you feeling?” he whispered.

“Better now that you’re here,” I mumbled back. I felt him sigh. I raised my head to see what was wrong with him.

“Why are you doing this?” he asked. I frowned.

“Doing what?”

“Why are you trying to help out so much? Why are you trying to make me protecting you so difficult?”

“What are you talking about? Jake, I’m just trying to help out our pack. Yes, I said our pack, as in me and you. It’s my job to make sure everyone is safe, especially you.”

“Speaking of which, you have some explaining to do,” he said. He sat up and moved so that his head was against the pillows that were propped up against the headboard on the bed and pulled me with him.

“Is that so?” I asked smiling. He grinned back and hugged me tighter.

“Yeah you do. Now, start from the very beginning. How do you know so much about werewolves?”