Chapter 2. Valeria

"Why is it so dark in here? Ugh what am I touching?" Cassie cringed as she wrinkled her nose.

Eckhart cleared his throat, "careful with movements. Val still has her sword drawn. Don't cut yourself."

Valeria rolled her eyes, "I'll just light my sword up; light of the living shimmer and glow." Valeria's sword lit up the entire cramped space. They were in a supply closet in the hospital. Eckhart was quick to snatch Valeria's sword and put it in its case at Val's left side.

"I'm going to open the door and we're not going to all fall out and run. We're all going to walk out naturally and casually walk with haste to the room. Which room is it Cassie?"

"Two-hundred twenty three. We walk out, take a right, then a left, and then the room is on our right." Cassie instructed.

Valeria stopped the conversation there, "wait, did you finish the—"

"I did all I could for her, Val. Unfortunately we're not at the moonlight caverns any longer so I cannot draw from true power—and even then finishing it past here could be impossible. I was able to buy her time from her curse—her sacrifice. Eleven years. It'll be her sixteenth birthday then." Eckhart proclaimed, "I locked most of her abilities through the amulet. It'll make her untraceable as well as she has the ability to summon it. It'll protect her too. Meanwhile we need to break the sacrifice. We cannot allow the Black family to take charge of everything."

"So whatever we do, we need to make sure this girl lives." Daniel summarized for the other two.

Eckhart nodded to the group, "Alright, let's move out." The four quickly dashed out of the closet and walked swiftly down the hallway. A few nurses turned their heads to glance and see the estranged group. Eckhart led with Valeria right behind him carrying the young child. Valeria kept taking glances down at the young girl, analyzing the heart-shaped amulet that was fastened safely around the young child's neck. The young child was fast asleep now; undisturbed and completely unaware of the danger she was in.

Valeria smiled and clutched the child tighter to her chest, quickening her pace as Daniel was walking next to her. You're going to be safe now. You're in good hands. Eckhart's the best and he's gonna do everything he can to keep you safe and protected. Valeria's thoughts continued as she wished the best for the child. The four of them threw the door to the room open and entered the room with the mother, father, and their three daughters.

"Cassie." The father addressed his estranged sister.

"Thomas." Cassie repeated his name.

Eckhart and Val stepped forward, "I'm Eckhart Merrywell. It's a pleasure to meet you Thomas. This here is Val. She has the child."

"Hi there," Valeria walked over to Thomas and handed him the small child wrapped in the bundle, "we call her Luna but you can call her whatever you like."

Thomas took the young child as he handed her another child, "This is Artemis. Take very good care of her." He then glared up to Cassie, "you're having children run in your group now."

"Valeria is a child of the Blood Rose Sword. This is her sixteenth rebirth. We also work directly for our lords which we must glorify." Eckhart answered calmly, "I do ask for one request from your family, just from one family to another."

The mother nodded, "let's hear it."

"I will be having one of my sons—Samson—stay with Artemis as the lords raise her to be a fine warrior. I do request that you make sure your daughter, whatever you name her, and my two other children, Maxamus and Rheannah Merrywell, never meet. This is vital so neither of the two manage to figure out what is going on. I don't want my children to have to deal with my work, nor yours to discover its perils."

"We'll do our best," the mother glanced to the young girl, "only five years to live..."

Daniel was quick to correct her, "actually, madam, it's sixteen now. We were able to surpass the curse for that long. Oh, and make sure she wears that amulet at all times. It is a necessity to keep her safe. Also, don't worry if she allies with my younger sister. She probably needs a friend anyway." He smiled and laughed at his own simple joke, "I forgot to introduce myself; I'm Daniel Mor, the eldest son of the King and Queen of Protiena."

"You're a prince?" Thomas asked, "And yet you ally with these men?"

Daniel just shrugged and lightly laughed, "Anything for the four lords. They beckoned for me to come forth and I did. Yeah it seems as if we're doing quite some shady things now and then—like right now for instance, however it's all for the greater good."

"Eckhart, we should get going. We've still got a lot to accomplish before the day is done." Cassie suggested. She really was trying to get away from her brother.

Eckhart nodded to the group, "is everyone ready to move?"

"Yes sir!" The three replied.

"Then let's move! Onwards!" Eckhart beckoned as the four of them left carrying Artemis.

Prologue / A Knight's Anguish in a Dark Night / End