Chapter 79. Heather

How long we were walking for?

A very, very long time

It was nearly nightfall when we finally found a road. And yup, I was still barefoot. It was now starting to get rather cold too.

Go figure, I know.

"So, you think we should try to find somewhere we can stay for the night? Or do you wanna keep walking? We still have no idea where we are." Max had asked me as we continued walking down the side of the road.

I shrugged, "Up to you. I'd prefer to use the cover of the night to move a little more freely while we still can. It's only harder in the day time because more people are out trying to watch us."

The two of us continued walking as we made our way through a park just as it became dark. The place was still rather well-lit by the street lamps, however there was still the fact I was indeed barefoot. The pavement was soon to become rather cold on my feet, and considering I wield fire, this was not in the slightest bit okay with me.

However, we still had to carry on. Had we not continued I predicted more nights would be like this in the future, me walking around barefoot everywhere.

"You sure you don't wanna stop anywhere?" Max has asked me again. "You're tip-toeing on the pavement."

"Well why don't you let me have your shoes? You've got socks!"

"...because they're my shoes. I gave you my jackets a few weeks ago what more do you want from me?"

"Your shoes! That's what I want!" I crossed my arms as I sat down on a bench, "Who am I kidding, we're going to get nowhere like this. We have no money, we have no food, we have no idea where we are and it's getting cold out!"

Max shook his head, "I'm not giving you my shoes! Geeze, you can survive two days--"

"Three. It's been three days now."

"--Three days without shoes!" By the time we settled down near this park bench where we sat for hours, it was well after midnight, and we had no where to stay the night, yet we were tired.

"Man, I wish I had my bow. At least I could then use you for target practice. Put a nice rock or something on your head, then ready, aim, and fire...!" I said as I lit my eyes up with the bright orange of the fire burning in my heart.

"Hey! Someone's gonna notice if you keep doing that! And I thought we couldn't strengthen our powers out here in the real world?"

"Huh?" I asked as I turned my eyes back, "what are you talking about?"

"Didn't anyone ever teach you about your power levels in the real world?" Max asked me, "You went to that huge Thalia base training academy and you never learned anything about your true and power selves?"

I shook my head, "No, I was just taught that I was activating more of my powers and could do more when I turn my eyes orange. If I don't turn them orange I can't activate as much power."

"So they never taught you about the real world?"

"What about the real world? We never really focused on that because we were told we weren't allowed to use powers out there for other people to see, and since we focused on using our powers, we never really saw the need we'd have to go out to the real world, so we didn't study it."

Max put his hands on his hip, "Ha! I know something the great Heather Mellissa doesn't know!"

"Oh yeah?! And what's that?!"

"You know about your true self and power self?"

I laughed, "Okay, just because I'm a triplet and Sheria's my sister doesn't mean that we're clones of each other."