Chapter 52. Heather

The three of us sat around Nellie's office, not a word was said at first. We just sat there and stared at each other. I don't know if Nellie just didn't know what to say to us, or we were supposed to ask something of her. Either way, we just sat there not a word dared spoken.

"Miss Nellie, your next appointment is dinner at the Mor's palace in two hours." One of Nellie's assistants entered the room. He looked rather confident in himself, more confident than I had ever seen in any other person.

Nellie nodded in response, "yes, I will be ready promptly at that time. Are you coming with me or is Mattie?"

"Mattie will be accompanying you at that time, and Ginella will be here when you arrive back. Alana will be there in the morning for you."

"Good, good. Be sure to send Mattie when it is time for us to depart. I wish you a wonderful afternoon and evening." Nellie responded as her assistant left, "Isn't Beckett such a stellar assistant? He's my newest one, just started working a few weeks ago and already has caught up to the other three."

I gave Nellie a puzzled look, "you have four assistants?"

"Five, I have Fiora as well, but she's working with Flora, preparing her for the day that she gains my role. They only work for six hours a day, and holidays they usually split, I'm very flexible. They get to choose their own hours as long as they cover the time and let me know at least a week in advance."

"That's just messed up. Why do you need that many people to work for you?"

"Protection mainly, but also to keep the Universe Watch Tower operating even while I'm asleep—you wouldn't want anything to happen just because I was sleeping, now would you? Anyways they make important business decisions when I cannot and take care of matters so I do not have to complete them, to ease the stress. Unbelievably, I get a large group of applicants for each position. It is rather difficult to decide which applicants are the best fits for the task."

I shook my head, "still messed up you need four servants to do stuff for you and at the end of the day they've accomplished nothing."

"Heather not everyone is a slave to aristocracy," Max sighed while shaking his head.

"You hate those with influence yet you keep a Merrywell by your side, isn't that a tad bit hypocritical Heather?" Nellie inquired.

"He abandoned his role and isn't trying to control everyone. He didn't let his entire homeland be destroyed!" I stood up and shouted, "What, you act like you didn't know Issola was recently under attack. You didn't send any reinforcements. You did nothing to protect them! Just came to clean up the aftermath and look like a hero."

Nellie sighed this time, "Heather, Heather. We all thought you were there protecting them. You are a strong girl, after all."

I shouted once again, "strong huh? You let a kid stand on the front lines of war. Why did you let me fight, huh? It's alright to let kids charge head first in to wars now? That's what you think? Look at me now! I fought in a war and I lost my home. What am I supposed to do now that I lost everything?"

"You want to find your sister and brother. I can tell. You and Maxamus here have a special bond. I'm sure you both already know that."

"No, we don't know that and we both aren't here because we don't know who we are."

Max turned to face me, "why are you so sarcastic?"

"Why am I here?" I demanded.

Nellie sighs, "You two are special, but you probably already know that too."