Chapter 4. Max

"And the race starts in three...two...one...GO!" Liva shouted. I ran out ahead of everyone with my younger twin sister Rheannah on my tail. She was the only girl in the race. For first graders we were pretty competitive. I always won the race with her just behind me. We were neck and neck all the time. At home, our father trained us in swordsmanship. Rheannah would constantly beat me at that. I was better at running and sneaking up and getting her. Not directly attacking. I was better at defending anyway.

Rheannah smirked, "there's no way I'm gonna let you beat me this time." She pressed on harder, but I only beat her with pressing on even harder than she could muster. I did whatever it took to stay ahead. The finish line was in sight.

...And that's when I fell.

It all became a blur. Everything was spinning. I just fell. I tripped over my own feet and fell to the ground. Rheannah stopped immediately. This was never supposed to happen. I didn't get up or even grab onto her to take her down with me. I just fell.

"Max hey are you okay?" Everyone else stopped and gathered around me. When the cutest kid and the one that everyone likes for being the most athletic falls for no reason, you know there's a problem.

Especially when he hasn't lost a single race. Ever.

The world kept spinning as I felt like I was going to upchuck my entire stomach. This wasn't normal. I didn't eat anything. My eyes wouldn't focus. My head was pounding.

"Rheannah...I-I" I stuttered. I couldn't even make out words.

"It's alright. I'll get you home. Dad will know what to do, he always knows what to do." Rheannah told me. She glared at my classmates, drawing the wooden sword that she kept on the left side of her belt as if she was a real swordsman, "Everyone back off I need to get him help, man down!" She then helped me up taking my arm around her shoulder just like Dad taught us in emergencies, "Dad has the moonlight spring water at home. It'll heal you! He'll know what to do!"

"Get Dad..." I mumbled before passing out completely as Rheannah dragged me back to our house.