Chapter 78. Rheannah

The three of us had practically given up on our search at this point. Our portal seeker had to return home to his "mommy and daddy" – lucky kid to still have both parents. He was unable to track the location the portal Max took. One of his older brothers even came out, just as puzzled as the kid was. All they could tell us was what we already knew—an ancient artifact was involved and we better start praying Thalia was in their favor.

After the 'portal-seekers' left, the four of us just stood around sharing our glances and glares. Dawnlight had retrieved Sheria so we had her in our discussion as well. Everyone was too afraid to speak another word due to the stress of the situation. We stood like that for several minutes, allowing the tension to build even more. It was until one of us broke.

Sheria.

"Take me to a shrine! Thalia has to help Heather! She has Thalia's amulet she has to help her!" Sheria begged of Josh and Dawnlight. She was at the point of tears, afraid for her sister.

"I'm pretty sure Thalia won't help them. Thalia isn't too big a fan of Max...or well...any of us. She's held a grudge against the Merrywell family for quite a few years due to something my great grandfather did."

"But Heather's there! Heather has Thalia's amulet, Thalia is watching her it's the only way she's still here right now please we have to go to a shrine, we can't just stand here we've gotta do something!" Sheria looked to me, her tears flying off her face like stardust. They glittered and shimmered in the afternoon light as they fell to the ground.

Dawnlight looked down to her feet, "There's not a shrine anywhere near here, Sheria. I'm sorry..."

"Aren't you upset that Max is gone too?! Why are we all just standing here?!" Sheria cried as she turned to face me now, clutching her staff in her hands. "You guys are strong can't you do something?!"

"We don't know what to do, Sheria. There's not much we can do." Josh told Sheria, "But crying isn't going to get us anywhere. I'm sure Max is with Heather right now, so at least those two are together. Besides, you know how strong Heather is. She can hold off a lot by herself. She's strong. As for us, we've got to keep a level head before thinking of our next move."

"But we don't have time for that, Heather's out there aren't you worried sick about her too?!" Sheria cried.

I opened my mouth to respond, however before I could use my words a small dagger whizzed through the air, cutting off a lock of my hair on the right side. Instead of my words being released, I instead gasped in shock before tumbling out of the way, pulling out my sword in defense. I hadn't seen where the dagger had gone, but I witnessed my golden hair fall to the ground, "Take cover!" I shouted, "We need to split up and get out of here this open field has no cover for us!" After scanning the area, I noticed our enemies appeared behind where we were standing. They wore all black cloth suits, as if they were some kind of ninjas. I hadn't witnessed anyone dressed like this before, it was a new one to me.

"Run and spread out!" Dawnlight barked.

"There's no way we're going to make it through if we run we have no cover we have to fight this!" I shouted back as I drew a half circle in the grass with the tip of my sword. I had to bring my sword up to block another dagger being thrown at me from hitting me in the face. I deflected it off to my right so none of my friends were hit. "This is about to get messy!" I shouted as I lifted my sword out sideways in front of me, placing my left hand on the blade, "alright, wind shield don't fail me now...!" I closed my eyes to focus on bringing up a wall of wind in front of me as I took a deep breath. I then peaked with my right eye to see if the wind wall was there.