Chapter 62. Rheannah

"Gosh Heather and Max are taking a long time, aren't they?" Sheria asked me as she blocked a bunch of arrows with her staff effortlessly from hitting me.

"Yeah, they are. And hey how did—"

"My sister uses archery. You didn't think I'd learn how to dodge arrows when she's got perfect aim?" Sheria smiled to me, "this is starting to get outta hand."

I nodded, "alright, it's time to do this my way." I depleted all the air in the room, using it to create a bubble around Sheria and I, "Alright. This is my game now. My game, my rules. And the one thing I know for sure: I decide who's going to win this fight if you don't play by my rules. Y'all got that?" I let the air back in the room as everyone gasped for it and glared at me.

The man in the cloak smiled, "I'd expect nothing less from a Merrywell. Especially his daughter."

"I am in no relation to him anymore. He means nothing to me. How dare you bring him up!" I used the wind to help project me forward to him. He tried to use the fire to blow all of it up in my face, forcing me to draw back from attacking him. I flipped off and landed on the floor a few feet back, sliding to a halt.

"Nice try. You're going to have to do better than that to prove that your silly little family is any better than the rest of us."

"Why you—" I spat, "you make it sounds like—"

Josh gasped, "he-he's a Black!"

"Just our luck running into the most powerful family." Dawnlight sighed.

"And just our luck he's evil, if you're talking about our luck. Good thing I don't believe in luck. Everything happens for a reason." I threw my sword out to the side of me, "I remember studying ones like you. Stubborn. Stuck up. Only makes sense there's one of you in this operation. Wouldn't be surprised there are more with the rebel Alfreds. After all, you do have Alfred in you, just like all the rebels possessed by this darkness. What, did it promise you power?"

"Ah, Merrywell, you have the Alfred in you as well."

"Oh contraire," I mocked him, "I'm pure Puggy."

Josh shook his head, "actually...you're not."

"what do you mean I'm not?!"

"You're protected by Elizabeth and your brother is all branches too. What did you expect Rheannah?" Josh shouted to me.

"You're just as evil as you think I am."

"I'll never fall down to the likes of you! Ever!" I shouted back while I charged wind around my sword. I was actually using my powers. I was actually doing it!

"Rheannah—"

"That's it!" I charged at the man, using my sword to slash back and forth while he dodged every attack I made against him. "I will never be like you! Ever!"

The man just laughed, "projecting your feelings of your father onto me now? Anyone who is even slightly wrong or evil must be punished and you must show you're better than them? Is that how it is?"

"Shut up!" I shouted as I charged more wind and used it to throw him back against a wall. I then leapt in with my sword in hand, "how dare you even think that I'll be just like you! I refuse to hurt innocent people!"

And that was that, I slashed my sword at the man with all the strength I had. I couldn't let him do this to all those people.

Just like what Heather was fighting...

She was like the man, only she didn't want to be that way. She was fooled and realized the monster that they wanted her to become.

Perhaps after all she wasn't such a bad person, she had good foundations in which she stood proudly on. She stood tall and strong.

If only I had realized that sooner.

"Rheannah!" Josh pulled me off of the man as I snapped out of my train of thought. I had the man pinned down even after I slayed him.

"I didn't overkill. You're fine. At least some darkness is rid from this world. Perhaps it's not enough." I wiped the blood off of my sword and faced the man's henchman who had invaded the room, "alright, who's next?"

"Is that girl crazy?!"

"Are you sure she's not the powerful one?"

"She didn't use that much power."

"ENOUGH!" I shouted as I engaged in a one against twelve swordfight. The sad part was, I was winning.

Josh sighed as he blocked a shot from hitting Sheria, "That's the true fine art of swordsmanship the Merrywell family can demonstrate. You won't ever see much finer craft than that. She's got a poisoned wind sword too."

"I wish I was that talented. Go Rheannah!" Sheria cheered me on as I knocked the sword out of one of the henchman's hands and kicked him back out of my way. This was difficult, however I was fighting my way to the end. I think I finally found my right place in the world. I found a decent match.

Before knocking the final one out of my way, I felt the entire building shake. I quickly launched myself in the air so I didn't have to be standing on crumbling ground.

The floor fell in below us to a dark room that was beginning to light up. Enclosed in a bubble shield on the ground was Heather and Max. Max obviously created the shield, and Heather shattered the ground. Her eyes held that glowing orange aura in them that told it all. She was ready to jump back into the fight.

...only to find out that I had finished the fight for them.

"Spread out!" Heather shouted as she threw herself in the air with her fire, creating a fire ball in her hands. She then took a minute to analyze the situation while she was in the air charging her fireball and slowly sighed to herself before dispersing the ball and coming back down to the basement room and helping Max out of it back to the surface where the rest of us were standing.

"I guess you finished that without us. Good job." She smiled before patting her bag, "I've got the scriptures, let's get out of here before we get trapped anywhere else."

Josh raised his eyebrow, "you were trapped?"

"I let the door close behind me. Had to make a door."

"Wait, aren't you supposed to be sealed in—"

"We were, until I suggested it'd be nice if an open door just appeared, then Heather got the idea of creating her own door—"

"By blasting through the ceiling." Heather shrugged, "wasn't that bad."

Dawnlight shook her head, "that room is supposed to cancel out all powers."

"Didn't cancel out mine." Heather brushed her hair off her shoulders, "Yeah the door locked but I forgot the one good quality of mine: making new doors."

Sheria sighed to herself, "her destructive capabilities are amazing, aren't they? Too bad you can't at least make something better of yourself."

"Hey, my door is a work of art! Look at all that light that's added to that room." Heather light-heartedly laughed, "let's just get out of here."

I noticed one of the men I thought I took care of start to twitch and quickly nodded in agreement, "agreed. Let's go!" Then we all left the academy once again in shambles.