Chapter 27. Max

We gained about a hundred miles distance between my old home and us. I glanced back several times to see if I could still see the caverns—or even that bridge. I thought my life flashed before my eyes again, and then again, Heather was there to save me. She was flawless with her timing. I've never seen anything so accurate. It was the fact she didn't believe in herself that amazed me. She thought of all of that on the spot, then didn't even know if it was going to work but did it anyway. If that's how battles are going to be I don't know if I could handle it out here in the real world.

Rheannah was right, I was dumb, still entirely way too young to be in battles, and extraordinarily too vulnerable. If Heather's plan didn't work I don't know what I'd do. I'd be in too much shock to believe that I could do something.

"It's nearly nightfall, we should rest." Dawnlight stated. We didn't really converse on our journey thus far. We kinda were just in too much shock after what happened.

"Is it safe?" the man Heather called Weird-o questioned.

Heather glanced around, "I'd assume so."

"We can only be attacked at this point from below. We're still on rocky enough mountains. With this ledge here they'll be taking a very awkward aim if they try to use ranged attacks. If they were to come at us from land, we'd hear them on this terrain." Rheannah stated. Everyone just looked at her.

"What, I fight with swords. I have to make sure I have an entrance and an exit in every battle."

"We'll have to teach you how to use your hover boards once we get out of the mountains." Dawnlight stated.

With the few blankets we packed and a small fire Heather started, we all set up for camp below the stars.

Weird-o sighed, "alright who's on what sleeping shift?"

"Sleeping shift?" I questioned.

Sheria nodded as she warmed her hands on the fire, "yeah. We always keep at least two people awake so if someone were to come at night, we'd be aware and ready to fight. For protection of course."

"I'm on first shift. I don't care who's with me. I'm on first." Heather mumbled as she started to mess with the fire, "so hurry up and decide so I can go to sleep faster."

"I call third shift. I hate waking up in the middle of the night and I'm too tired to stay awake for first shift. Night everyone." Sheria covered herself up with a blanket and rolled over to sleep.

Dawnlight shrugged, "Josh and I will take second since it seems to be the most unpopular."

"I'll take third. Max you need the rest. Go on first." Rheannah stated as she went to sleep next. Dawnlight followed her.

"You know what to do Heather, Wake me up in three hours. Night." The Weird-o told Heather as she just stared at the fire. She only nodded in response as she brushed her messy waist-length brunette hair back. I moved to sit next to her.

"Now three hours of silence without him barking commands down my back." Heather sighed to herself before noticing me, "If you don't consider him a Weird-o, you will only after a short period of time. Trust me. He follows me around everywhere I go whether I like it or not."

I shrugged, "he does sound like he's irritating you by the way you whine back to him."

She held onto her bow at one end and held the other end of her bow up to my chin, "I do not whine. He just makes me so mad. He doesn't ever let me do anything. It's always 'no you must do this' or 'no that's wrong' ugh makes me so mad."