Chapter 86. Heather

"I see an uncertainty in your future." Edith told me. "You're afraid of something. It seems it's your fate and destiny that's troubling you. You're afraid to walk down that path, yet it keeps seeking you out and finding you."

"Well yeah, it picked me up and tried to use me as alligator food." I responded as I crossed my arm from where I sat across the kneeling table in the center of the room. The cushion I sat on wasn't the most comfortable either.

"Perhaps, but perhaps it's because you're uncertain of the truth. You've only been following rumors, not knowledge. You are the chosen one after all. Thalia chose you and allowed you to wear her enchanted heirloom."

"So what does this mean, 'I'm the chosen one' or whatever this nonsense is?"

"Scripture told of a tale of a time when our created world and the normal world were combined as one. At the time, the most powerful mages decided to separate the worlds to keep the peace amongst elemental humans and normal humans. The worlds were separated this way as we took the means of what fuels our powers--which is why in the normal world our powers are limited and our limiters don't work properly. Those mages who created this world had to balance the forces of order and chaos--a type of magicks that are the same as what Zennifer has been inflicted with. As you probably already know, we handle magicks. However, they can consume us due to their nature. We as humans can only handle so much chaos before it corrupts us and the magicks itself eats us alive."

"Alright, enough of the history lesson, how does this pertain to me being the 'chosen one' or whatever?" I commented.

"Our world consists of order and chaos...however the forces of chaos are continuing to grow. It was said the chosen ones would come and rebalance the forces of chaos and order, they'd save the world from a chaotic darkness that would consume our world. The chosen one would walk on to the battlefield adorned in a white silk gown like an angel and bring light and order to the world. The chosen one would vanquish the darkness with a sword left from the original mages that created this world, and in the end sacrifice herself on the battlefield for whoever slays the sacrifice...it is they who receive the power. Scripture warns and tells of the time where the world doesn't win...the chaos wins. It doesn't have a happy ending. All times the chosen one has reached the age of sacrifice it has been recorded that the world has been delving into more chaos. But this time, I feel it can be different. Thalia told me this was one of the last chances to fight off the chaos before her and our Lords fall to chaos and darkness. Also there is a protector here, and I understand if he doesn't have his doubts and reservations about his confidence he may be able to perform the rite perfectly and perhaps the world won't go to chaos."

"So it's true...just like the dreams...On my sixteenth birthday...I'll be sacrificed...I'll die..." I looked to Edith, then to Max, "To the same darkness that hurt Jen and Zena, which makes things worse! Why me?! Just why me?!"

"I don't understand the terms of what makes a sacrifice. I only know they're a mage with strong magicks with a lineage back to the great mages." Edith responded.

Vespersai nodded, "I most definitely will look into this. Although I am not a battle sorcerer, I am studying to be a scripture sorcerer so this is a must. It is my duty to identify if something is amiss with the history and documented in written scripture. Edith, can I count on you to obtain information without presenting this as a larger issue? I do want to keep this on the down-low for Miss. Mellissa's protection and safety. If she really is the chosen one, we'll want to keep her under the radar as much as possible as to her involvement. And that means you, Maxamus. You'll have to protect her. While Miss. Mellissa can protect herself, she'll need someone to watch her back."

"R-right!" Max nodded, "I-I can do it!"

"I also wanted to know if you knew anything about CROSS. I've crossed paths with them multiple times. They say they work for the lords...but something is still rather unsettling about them."