Chapter 69. Heather

And two weeks past and here we were, still training.

By now we had learned each other's techniques and fighting styles well and how to work with each other...for the most part. We still had our petty arguments all the time. It was all part of learning how to be a successful team.

In my mind, we still weren't ready to face Jen at her worst. We had no idea what the darkness was planning, or even a better idea of who did this to her. All we knew was she was taken over by the darkness and consumed by it. It still made me sick inside. My own sister. All of this still felt like it was partially my fault for leaving everyone back there, however at the same time I wouldn't be training here with Max. I could've been lost in that fight instead of Jen. Then who would stop the darkness?

"Hey, you okay there Heather? You're starring off into space again." The shopkeep's daughter asked me.

I shook my head, "no, no, I'm fine, really. Just thinking." I gave her a smile.

"Hey look at this, they just got a shipment of equipment in!" Rheannah was digging through the boxes, "hmm what's this? A fancy looking belt?"

"It's a carrying belt, equipped with lots of pockets and hooks for you to clasp things onto so you don't have to carry things!" The shoopkeep's daughter smiled, "you can have it if you like as a reward for saving me and the shop. Daddy got it just for you." She was smiling at me, "you were amazing."

"No no, it's really nothing." I smile as I feel my face turn a few shades darker, "I only did what anyone else would've done."

She insisted otherwise, "your team is amazing! You guys are so cool! I wish I had powers like that so I could join you guys!"

"You don't want to join us, see what we're doing is dangerous, very dangerous. So dangerous that we don't even know if we're going to make it back the same. See Heather's got to rescue her sister since something evil took hold of her." Max tried to explain to her. He was good with kids, somehow.

"Hey did you get the materials Sheria wanted?" I asked, changing the subject once and for all. I put on the belt I had acquired, noticing all the pockets and clips for equipment. It would be very helpful in the future. I finally decided to do it, split my bow in half at the center where the hand grip was. I had known for a while that the bow could do that, split in half, however I had no need to do so since I never had a decent way to carry it. I had read about this bow in my research. In the past it has taken the form of twin daggers, a breaker, and even a bow that was used by combining the two daggers. That would be a great fighting tactic, using your daggers then once gaining some distance combine them at the ends of their hilts to create a bow.

Unfortunately, not much was known about how or why it had changed forms, and for now, it was stuck just a normal silver bow for me. It was still cool though, having a bow that the Lords once used to save our land. And the amulet. The amulet was just as cool, if it ever stopped talking to me.

Perhaps the bow just took the form of what I needed—and at that time, I needed a bow to protect Sheria because it was the only thing I knew how to use.

When I split my bow in two, a small rolled up piece of paper fell out and onto the floor between my feet. I was quick to pick it up and inspect the inside of the bow for any other surprises. I found nothing else but the paper in my hand.

"Yeah it just came in, what's with all this weird stuff anyway? What's Sheria trying to do, grow a big gooey monster made of slime?"

Rheannah laughed, "Remove a curse without the proper training. You know Heather was a bird for a few minutes?" Rheannah snorted, "you're leader you love so much and want to be a part of her team isn't that great. She's cursed. You really should just stay here unless you want to be cursed too."