Chapter 66. Heather

So we had resorted to just sitting around very impatiently. Rheannah sat sharpening her sword, the Weird-o and Dawnlight were studying some materials they were supposedly studying before we left the academy, and Sheria was cleaning off her rod. Meanwhile here I was standing up in a corner looking at the scriptures. I hadn't bothered to show anyone else them yet. Max and I were the only ones who knew their true intentions.

And let's just say I was glad I wasn't them.

A sacrifice? Saving the world? Seriously whoever that was had to already know what they were doing, unlike here I am in the middle of a Merrywell family matter and trying to find this sacrifice. Whoever this sacrifice was definitely had to know what was going on.

Or at least had to know more of what was going on right now than me. Who'd do such an awful thing to Isola? Who would ever want to go to war like that? It made me sick.

Perhaps because I'm the only one fighting back while the rest of them just sit there waiting for a savior or someone to fix all their problems for them.

Well that wasn't going to be me. I'd fix my own problems. After all, it's my fault for getting myself into this mess, now it's time for me to get myself out of this mess.

I went to reach for my heart amulet, only to realize it was not there. I had given it to Max for protection. Of course I did that. I didn't want to lose a teammate. That amulet could save him if anything happens because it talks to me. Thalia even told me herself it was to protect me because I—

Because I was a sacrifice.

Thalia told me herself. So did the rest of the Lords. They made sure they told me. They had—that night I was with Anna.

Why didn't I realize that sooner? How didn't I? I was trained to piece things like this together. I had only one job and that was to figure things like this out.

"I'm so stupid!" I ended up shouting aloud as I kicked a wall. Everyone turned and looked to me.

Sheria was the first to speak, "Heather, are you alright? What's going on?"

I was quick to turn to face everyone in their speechlessness, "I'm fine. I just didn't realize something until now." I turned back away from everyone while they stood there in silence. Meanwhile while I turned away, I turned right into Max.

Max must've seen my rage, what an idiot I truly was to let all of them see my realization.

But they couldn't know that I was this person. There was no way. I'd need confirmation. Someone would have to tell me that I was. I just couldn't be this person. I couldn't because I would know. Yeah I mean I had the heart amulet but I have two sisters out there. Why would I be that any they wouldn't? I have an older brother even! Why would I be selected out of them anyway? The only thing that I was better at than they were was power. I had more power and more in-combat training and just overall training, but Sheria was the nice one who was adorable and polite and everyone loved her. She had plants and a garden and could be anything since she was so sweet and nice and popular because of it. Jen was the smart one before her evil rampage. Jen could beat me at anything without trying. She knew everything and was popular because of that. Frank was on the basketball team

Then here I was, the good-for-nothing Heather. I was able to cost through most everything and the only thing I had going for me was my powers. But powers didn't matter. They didn't matter at all. Yeah I was good at it but people didn't generally like me. Not like Max and Rheannah. Everyone appreciated them. People just wanted me because of these powers and now that I'm bonded, right? Nobody liked me for who I am. They just wanted my powers or my amulet because it was 'strong'.