Chapter 5. Rheannah

I did everything just like I was taught. I followed every point, every detail down to the exact precise measure that I was taught. Take care of the injured before yourself. Only fight if you have to save yourself and the injured. Always put your injured men before yourself no matter who you are or what status you have.

I dragged Max across the street and down the road to our house. I threw my sword down and threw open the front door to find my mother reading some useless magazine as usual. At the sound of the door slamming open she dropped her magazine and stood up quickly, also knocking over her morning tea.

She didn't seem too happy to see me however, "Rheannah you should be at school! What did I tell you about ditching school again?!"

"Max is hurt you need to get Dad to help him!" I dragged Max inside before my mother screamed for my father and threw Max on the couch. I was relieved of my duties; however, I didn't leave my brother's side. He was my only brother after all and my only friend. The other kids at school and I didn't really get along. My father came storming in from his room with a worried look plastered on his face. This wasn't good, not at all.

My father glared at Max's pale face, "he was poisoned. Someone is after the Moonlight Springs again or my work. Here," He poured an entire pitcher full of the moonlight spring water he had in the fridge for bottling for our family into Max's mouth slowly, "This won't be enough and I don't have any in my stash here I'll have to go get some. It's going to be dangerous." He then drew his sword and faced the blade up, "Rheannah, hold the hilt. Max..."

Max was coming to consciousness. He moaned a bit and his tired ocean-blue eyes attempted to focus. Our father moved Max's shaggy brunette hair out of his face and told him the same thing, "Max hold the hilt of my sword just below your sister's right hand and put all your powers into it. We don't have time to hesitate." Max nodded as he started to cough a bit. He was waving his hand around in several directions trying to find the handle; his vision was surely blurred and messed up at least a little more than slightly.

"I may have some extra from the time I fell ill with that terrible flu lying around. I'll find it." My mother ran to her room. I just watched father while holding onto the handle of his sword.

"Rheannah, do the same. Put everything you have and you pull on the handle in your direction. You need to. I'm dividing my sword into two for you. I do not need a sword to face these men or get you the water. I can make a new one easily. This one is special. It holds the power from the black family and some ancient artifacts. Just half of the sword will regenerate into its own powerful entity." We had only heard rumors that the moonlight springs in the actual caverns have started to become dangerous. It still didn't make sense, however that he was giving us his sword instead of taking it to use to fight. I guess he had to leave us something.

I nodded, "got it." I put everything I had into the sword. It wasn't much. We both were still too young for this.

Or so I thought.

Max was pouring bucket loads of power into the sword. More than I ever have seen.

"Max you're putting your life force into it back off!" Father shouted at Max. Max didn't know what he was doing obviously. He was putting his life force in with his powers. It was as if the poison was mixing the two. His life force was his powers that used his life as a last resort to protect him. He was draining his life away.

That was bad.

"I can't...my-my powers..."

"Dad you need to stop him!" I shouted at my father as fear flooded my light eyes. My blonde hair was swept everywhere. I had to use my left hand to keep it out of my face. I guess the sword used my wind powers to sweep wind in the surrounding area so no one intervened.

He just shook his head, "there's nothing I can do."

"He's my older brother!" I shout as my powers flash a bright green before they increase into pouring into the sword. What did I just do? I just increased my powers. "Dad you have to save him! He's your child too!"

"I can't do anything Rheannah Aurawn Merrywell! You have to let the sword do what it wants!" He shouted my middle name.

"He's my big brother! He never did anything wrong!" I shouted once again. More of my power was poured in. So was triple the amount of Max's power.

My father ran up to the two of us and took off his cross necklace that was made of silver with a blue sapphire gem in the center. He wrapped the chain around the sword, "You're almost done. Just about another minute."

"Max doesn't have another minute!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. Max was shifting in an out of consciousness I believed by the way he kept closing and opening his eyes. Why was this happening to him? I was the one who always was doing things to get in trouble. I always fought back. I was the rebel here. He didn't do anything but go along with it. It's all my fault not his! Why punish him?

"Thalia, Puggy, Elizabeth, Alfred, what did I do wrong to deserve this?!" I shouted as even more of my power poured out in its luminescence green color which was contrasting Max's bright blue color. I was attempting to balance out Max's powers, or that's what mine wanted to do. I didn't want him to die. I needed him.

"Rheannah..." Max reached his left hand out to me. I didn't even hesitate to grab it and hold it. He was my brother. My only brother.

I felt and searched for my life force powers. They were strong. I decided I only had one option – to feed Max my life force. "He's my only brother!" I shouted as I started to feed him my life force. My life force was leaving my left hand as a luminescence lime green and changing into a luminescence blue where our left hands met under the hilt of the sword. I was doing everything I could to help him.

"Rheannah you need to stop that!" My father shouted, "you're only hurting yourself!"

"He's my brother!" I shouted as the sword finally split into two different parts. Max was flung back into the couch, I was flung back across the room, but I was able to spin into a backflip using my life force, which was already activated and land on my feet, sliding back inches away from ramming into the wall. We both had two different swords. Mine had a dark blue hilt with a blade that lightly shined a faint blueish green hue. Max's, had a deep blue almost to the point of being a jet black blade with an even darker hilt. His sword fell out of his hand onto the ground. I quickly put mine away in my belt loop and ran up to Max, "Max....Max talk to me, are you alright?" I tapped his shoulders rapidly, I moved his arms, messed up his hair, I did everything I could possibly think of. I needed him.

His eyes were closed. There was no response to any of my efforts.

My eyes began to tear up once more as I held his hand in my own, "Max..."

My father just looked to me, "I'm going to get the moonlight spring water. If I don't hurry he'll be dead for sure. For now there is still hope." And with saying that he walked out of the front door with a different sword. It was not enhanced with anything like the one we just split was, I was sure of it.

After he slammed the door, I shouted back at him, "You don't even check to see if he's okay! He's my only brother and you just left him for the dead!" He didn't care. He didn't care at all to take Max with him to the caverns. Max could've been thrown in to the spring at the end of the caverns quicker than father could get there and come back. It was a safer bet. Max and I had both adventured in there several times. We knew what was there. It was dangerous with the rumors of the monster but it was the safest bet to save him.

Or so we thought.