Chapter 40. Max

Rheannah reentered the shop in a matter of several minutes. This was rather odd and rather quick, for she was supposed to be bringing Heather back.

"Where's Heather?" Sheria asked immediately upon her arrival.

"She ran off. I suspect she won't make it far though. She'll come back here soon enough."

The Weird-o crossed his arms, "really now?"

"Give it a few minutes."

And soon enough, a few minutes later a beat up Heather came stumbling in with cuts everywhere.

"I said go get her not beat her up!"

"It was the only way I was going to get her to come back here out of her own free will." Rheannah commented as she walked to browse the isles of the store.

Sheria shook her head furiously, "oh no no no, this won't do. Heather come here let me heal you." Sheria quickly went to town healing Heather left and right. I've never seen anyone's wounds evaporate so quickly.

...until they all split open again since Heather was a fire type. Since she was so obviously cut with Rheannah's sword, only the moonlight water or time could heal the wounds. They needed to be purified since her sword was enchanted with moonlight water.

"Ouch." Heather commented as she stood up and headed back for the door. She didn't even make eye contact with any of us.

It was then that I looked at Rheannah. She had ashes covering her, but Heather didn't hurt her at all. She was playing defensive the entire time. She didn't want to hurt anyone.

"Heather, wait." I shouted to her. She opened the door but turned back around to face me.

"What?"

"Here, I can take care of your wounds."

"My sister couldn't and she's a healer. What makes you think you can do better?"

I pulled out my vial of emergency pure moonlight spring water, "I have this."

Rheannah reeled around and shouted at me, "Max you know that's only for emergencies. You're not supposed to use it mother said."

"This is an emergency. I'm about to lose my only friend." I walked over to Heather and showed her the vial.

"What is that?"

"Heather, that's the purest moonlight spring water. It can cure any wound or illness. Rheannah and Max's swords are enchanted with it, meaning wounds obtained from their swords will be unhealable by anything but moonlight spring water." Dawnlight was explaining to Heather. Heather just sighed in response.

"Let me help you Heather, you don't want to keep those wounds."

Heather shook her head, "this isn't an emergency. Keep your last hope. I'll be fine." Heather continued to open the door and walk out, closing the door behind her.

"She won't let me repay her for all she's done for me..." I lead off.

"She's not looking for anything in return. Get used to it. If you want her to follow along with you, you're gonna have to try harder to get her. She's not going to ask you for help unless she needs it. You can't force a stubborn woman to do anything. This is her turf now and she's going to do what she wants. Let's face it. She's the leader here. She won't take anything that means something or is important. If you can convince her of anything then you're already ahead of the rest of us. I still can't convince her to do specific training. And I've been trying to do that for five years."

Sheria nodded, "Heather doesn't really like authority."

"Heather doesn't really like anyone." Rheannah grumbled.

"Did she even attack you back there? Or did you just attack her? You don't even have a burn mark on you and here she is bleeding, bruised, and broken."

Rheannah remarked, "I defended myself well. I didn't get hurt."

Sheria stood up, "Heather wouldn't attack one of her friends. She doesn't like to attack anyone on purpose. She does get fired up and will show you all she has, but she won't let people she cares about get hurt. She'd take all the damage in the world before letting someone take a hit for her."

"Well I'm going after her and I'm going to make her heal those wounds of hers, I don't care what anyone says." I state before I rush out after her. She didn't make it too far. She was hobbling with her wounds and was using her bow for balance.

She mumbled something inexplicit to herself before she fell on the ground. The wounds were too much for her to handle.

"Heather!" I shouted as I quickly made my way over to her.

"Go away." She mumbled once I got closer to her, "I'll be fine."

"No you won't and we both know that." I stated as I opened the vial of moonlight spring water, "the wounds will eat you since you're not of the moonlight springs." I applied the water on the wounds, only to realize it was not nearly enough. I was going to need a whole pool of it to save her.

Rheannah really did it this time.

She struggled with words again, "just leave me be. I saved you now you have to go on and make something of yourself."

I shook my head, "I'm not leaving you behind. No one gets left behind, we're a team now. I'm sure you've said it yourself. We're all we have left." I picked her and her bow up.

"Put me down, you can't save me."

"Yes I can. I can take you to the moonlight springs."

"Max they're out for our heads there."

"They are now allowing everyone no matter what power in. I don't care if they're out for our heads I won't leave you behind. You've sacrificed too much to just die right now without any effort to save you."

Heather denied it once again, "You don't need to do all of this."

"Yes, I do." I stated as I started off back to the Moonlight Caverns carrying Heather without another word.