Chapter 10 -- "We've got a really good sense of smell, Dan."

Chapter 10

Danny's POV

"And you are sure you're okay?"

"Yes, Jesus," Lilly exclaimed exasperatedly from the other end of the line, "How many times do I have to say it? I'm fine. Toby's nice-- I like him. You know, after I figured out that he wasn't robbing the flat. You picked a good one."

I closed my eyes with a sigh of relief, nodding once I was reassured for the umpteenth time that Lilly was okay. After calling her mobile over a dozen times that morning, she finally picked up at around 9AM-- claiming that she'd been asleep and had her phone on silent in the living room. Toby had arrived the night before but hadn't called Christopher until early this morning, meaning he'd been there a solid twelve hours at that point. Fortunately, from her account nothing along the lines of turning into a large supernatural monster had occurred.

I mean, nothing was said but I'm pretty sure it would've been mentioned if it had...

"I know. I'm sorry. I'm just being paranoid-- you know what I'm like," I mumbled, hugging my waist in comfort.

"Well, that's great. Seeing as you're the one who bloody sent him," She sarcastically praised, "You did screen him before sending him, right?"

"Of course."

"And was there anything suspicious about him?" She interrogated.

I mean he's a freaking werewolf.

I winced heavily and bit my lip as I strained out, "No..."

"Then we're good. Personally, I think he's a sweetheart. We stayed up all night talking, even though he was tired from the trip. He seems like a nice guy. Pretty shy but not at all what I was expecting. Also, he's so young. He's only like, two years older than me; it's mad!" She began, her voice gradually speeding up throughout her reply, "Yeah, like—I feel pretty comfortable with Toby. I can't explain it. It's like we just clicked, you know? I think being so close in age really helped."

By the end of her gushing I'd headed over to my bedroom door and begun to gently bang my forehead repeatedly against it, the tell-tale signs of when my sister had developed a crush making me want to physically reach through the phone and shake some sense in her, "Lilly, please tell me you don't fancy the babysitter..."

I could practically feel her shrug in response, "... Alright, I won't tell you."

I groaned lowly. There go my hopes of her not even liking him.

"What?" She replied incredulously, "He's cute. He's young. He's nice..."

"Yeah, so was Hitler at one point, Lills," I tried to argue meekly in return.

She scoffed, "Yeah, I'm pretty sure the babysitter isn't Hitler, Dan. You're being more paranoid than usual. What's gotten into you?"

"I'm just saying," I reasoned, turning and leaning against the door instead of banging my forehead against it, "Maybe it's not the best idea to be making moves on the babysitter when you're so... you know..."

"What?"

I grimaced slightly at the excuse I was taking, "With child."

"Well, you've change your tune. What happened to the whole, women are more than just mothers spiel? Seriously, what has gotten into you?" She replied, her voice taking on a defensive tone as she spoke about the young boy, "Besides the guy is so shy, I'm pretty sure if I just brush against his arm he'd get a nose bleed. He's harmless, Dan. Trust me."