'Real' Friends

"You what?!"

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I fist my hair into my hands breathing heavily in between my arms, my knees are hauled up against my chest as a comforting arm snakes around my shoulder. I stand up quickly shaking my head and walking up the steps that we were once sitting on.

"Tessa" His voice light as he staggers behind me. Is he laughing right now?

I turn around pointing my index finger in his direction my eyes turning into slits. "I'm so close to losing my shit."

With a sharp turn I head towards the corridor that leads to my room. I stomp with every exaggerated step, muttering curses under my breath. A strong hand grips on my upper arm turning me around, his eyes showing no remorse of guilt but sparkles under the lights.

How can he laugh at this, before he was so worried and sorry and now he's trying to hold back his laughter. He folds his arms over his chest, his thumb brushing over the bottom of his lip as he scans me from top to bottom. "I'm sorry but I didn't realise how stupid it sounded until I actually had to admit it."

"You don't say?" I say sarcastically, leaning against the wall and slowly sliding down until my butt hit the carpeted floor. My gaze following after as I shift it towards my hands that are clamped on top of my thighs. "How stupid could you be Jae?"

He lets out a sigh crouching down in front of me, his hand reaches out griping my chin lightly as he tilts my head to look at him. "Look, I wasn't thinking okay?" His voice soft, as his hazel eyes search my face all playfulness gone.

"But you've got to admit, it was pretty funny." I spoke to soon. A smile breaks out on his face as I slap his hand away making him lose his balance. He falls on his ass laughing lightly as he leans on his arms.

I groan attempting to get back up but his arms reach out to my shoulders gently pushing me back down. "Wait I'll stop soon."

My eyes roll back. "So you're telling me this wasn't bet? Let me guess it was a game?"

"No it wasn't-"

"Then what?" I ask, my arms folded against my chest as I raise an eyebrow. "I literally heard you say 'I want out of this bet' to Kaleb, you're really running out of chances here dude."

"You know the kid is in love with you?" He stops, looking me dead in the eye with a serious expression on his face.

"You're delusional you know that." I turn away from him as I feel the heat rushing under my skin.

"Yeah? Well your face says otherwise, the tips of your ears are turning red." He says softly.

I scoff rolling my eyes at him. "So what? He may have liked me, what does this have to do with you?"

"It has everything to do with me."

Suddenly everything around me goes quiet just the sound of my heart pumping violently against my chest. My eyes widen in confusion as his heated stare burns through my skin, soft light breaths escaping my lips. The walls were coming down and nothing was making sense. Until a smirk that was barely noticed graces the corners of his lips, that's when I feel the fire burn in my eyes.

I raise my arm to punch his bicep as he falls once again laughing to himself. "You're so easy to mess with Tessa. You should've seen your face, it was like you were about to bolt and jump on the first plane out of here."