Time lost in years

"Tessa–"

"I don't want to hear it Jae." I say distracted as I stuff the picnic blanket into the boot of his car. I try to close the lid but the back is too full and now I have to repack the car again. My mind is all over the place and I'm not thinking straight at all. I throw the blanket on the floor and stuff it into the back seat. I shut the door a bit to hard and I hear Jae huff as he leans on the roof on the other side.

"Honestly I think–"

"I don't care what you think!" I snap at him and he shuts his mouth staring at me taken back at my outburst. I groan leaning my head against the cold surface of his car, trying to calm myself from all the rage, confusion and sadness happening in me all in one go. "I'm sorry..."

"I'm sorry Jae." I whisper. "I just don't know what's wrong with me at the moment."

I hear the drivers door close thinking he had gone inside the car, but then I hear gravel crunching beneath me and soon I see Jae's clean black and white vans standing next to me. His arm snakes under me and curls around my stomach and in one swift movement he has me in a warm embrace. I clutch his shirt tightly as his hand stokes the back of my head as he kisses my hair.

"I'm so so sorry baby." I mumble into his shirt.

"Shhh" Jae shushes. "It's fine okay, you've just seen your mum for the first time ever since she left and I would be feeling a lot of emotions if I were you too. It's not your fault Tessa, you can be angry, sad or pissed off just don't push me away when you need me the most."

I nod and he sighs clutching me tightly, as if I'm gonna just slip through his hands right this moment. "You must be so fucking confused right now Tessa but you need to know you have me. Like I said I'm all in with you."

I nod once again but I back away slightly putting some distance between us, his arms hook around my back afraid I'll take off unexpectedly. "I don't know what to do."

Jae looks over my shoulder and sure enough they're standing far from us waiting for an answer. After she saw me she tried to come closer but I backed away and she flinched, I finally snapped out of my daze and basically forced Jae to pack up the picnic because I knew I no longer wanted to be there anymore. He didn't say anything but nodded and began putting away everything he has planned and now I feel like shit doing that to him.

"I'm sorry." I apologise again. "I really am appreciative of what you did for me today, I'm really sorry I ruined it for you."

Jae smiles shaking his head. "You didn't ruin anything, I had a good day before all of this happened. You weren't expecting to see her and I understand, don't blame yourself for something you couldn't control."

"I could've controlled how I reacted, I didn't have to yell at you and...and gosh I'm such a bitch." I mutter bowing my head, but Jae's fingers wrap around my chin gently bringing back up to him.

"Stop alright. It happened and I'm okay with it because like I said, I understand." He tells me and I nod. "We have other issues to discuss right now, like your mum staring at me."

I look back and see that she's gazing right at him but she catches my eye and looks away quickly, patting down Tori's head in the meantime her fiancé is on a phone call sitting in the car. I turn back to Jae who's examining my face for an answer.

"She has a kid, a g-girl." I whimper lowly. "And a fiancé, she's got her own family and she did that all after she abandoned me and my dad. Why would I want to see her after that, for what she put us through, why would I ever want to speak to her again."

Jae grabs my hand rubbing his thumb over my knuckles. "Maybe because you want to Tessa, I can see it in your face. Not because you want to reunite but because you have so many questions, you even look angry like you want to yell at her but your more curious then angry."