Goodbyes are for Suckers

His boastful laugh gets the attention of everyone at the party, people stare at us weirdly before going back to their own conversations and ignoring us completely. I clutch the bottom of my jacket angrily as I stare at him laughing right in my face. Brooklyn swats at his arm which gets his attention and he blinks back the tears that we're forming in his eyes before offering me an amused smile.

"Stop laughing at me you trader." I hiss at him but that just makes him chuckle even more. He sees my unamused expression and pouts walking to me before pulling me into a big bear hug. I place my arms on his chest and attempt to push him away but he's too strong. "Get off me you Gorilla, I hate you."

He puts distance between us again and shakes his head unconvinced. We both know I didn't mean it which pisses me off even more. "You don't hate me Tessa, I thought I was your best friend?"

"You are." I admit but not before adding. "But I'm still really really angry at you."

Suddenly someone protests beside me with a frown. "I thought I was your best friend Tessy! You cheating on me with this loser."

I stare at Noah who's glaring at Carter before using two fingers to point to his eyes and then back at me. "You're both my best friends?"

"You can only have one." Carter argues. "It's not fair because then we'll both feel cheated."

I roll my eyes to look behind me where Jae sits quietly not bothered to intervene with the stupidity of his two best friends. He sips his water and lifts a brow in question. "You don't have anything to say?"

Jae smirks before shaking his head. He gets up from the deck chair standing next to me before leaning down to whisper in my ear. "Oh I know what kind of friend I am to you Tessa and I'm telling you now I'm a special kind of friend. A friend that would take you against that wall–"

"Argh gross get a room." Noah interjects making a fake gagging motion. Brooklyn chuckles beside Carter who smiles at Jae triumphantly.

"Planning too." I hear Jae mutter next to me. Heat starts rising up from my neck and I embarrassingly ignore him and turn to Carter instead.

"I'm still mad at you Carter! I can't believe you weren't going to tell me, you suck." I tell him seriously. The playfulness has left his face as he pouts unintentionally. He looks at Brooklyn for a brief second before moving towards me. "I'm angry at you too Brooklyn."

"I know." She smiles. 

Carter stands in front of me full of remorse before turning to speak to Jae. He lowers his head to whisper something in his ear, which gets Jae's attention but he nods and let's go of my hand that I didn't know he was holding. "Don't keep my girl too long Carter or I might start speculating."

Carter shakes his head before gesturing to me to follow him. He walks ahead of me but when he looks over his shoulder to see me standing in the same spot he frowns.

"I'm still angry at you." I tell him which gets him to sigh.

"I'm your best friend remember?" Carter informs me. "Plus I have some explaining to do."

Argh. I groan before dropping my arms from my chest walking towards him. He give me a appreciative shit eating grin just as Noah stops him and says. "Correction I'm her best friend, so go find your own."

Before anyone asks, yes Noah has had a few too many beers in the last couple of hours which has him spluttering nonsense. Carter flicks his forehead which gets Noah to release  his forearm before leading the way back inside the huge house. Just as I'm about to follow I grab Noah's arm and smile. "For the record, you're my best friend."