Family and Zombies

Elizabeth and her regiment were just entering the walls of London when a carriage pulled up in front of them. "Colonel Bennet, Colonel Darcy. His majesty requests your presence immediately. This carriage will take you to the palace, the regiment will be taken to our barracks at the east wall." said Phillip the Kings advisor. Both Colonel's turned to each other with raised eyebrows, Darcy allowed Elizabeth to slide into the carriage before following in after her.

The carriage moved slowly through London streets, every few minutes they were stopped by soldiers who would then inspect the vehicle and their persons to make sure no zombies were present. They went through ten such check points before they were admitted into the palace separately, after they were cleared by the ridiculous physicians they were left in the throne room. "Are you well Miss Bennet?" Asked Darcy noticing her furrowed eyebrows.

Elizabeth looked up, her hands shifting to allow him to see a note present in her hands. "It appears that my Aunt and Uncle heard of my promotion to Colonel, they wish for me and as the note quotes 'the poor chap who had to show you the ropes.' to come to supper tomorrow evening. I believe that they are referring to you Mister Darcy." she stated looking up at him with a small smirk appearing upon her lips. Darcy remained as impassive as ever, his hands clasped behind his back as he moved to inspect the titles on the shelf to his left.

Elizabeth frowned as he grabbed a Japanese title and moved to sit on the sofa, he was momentarily silent as he began to read the book. After a few moments of silence Elizabeth asked "Do you intend to accept my families invitation? I can assure you that my Uncle, Mister Gardiner makes for intelligent conversation." Darcy looked up from the book, his right eyebrow curling up in interest before replying "If you so wish it, I have no relations left in London. They have all moved from within its walls and now reside in grand estates." This sad reality made Elizabeth frown, she moved to respond when the King was announced.

Both Colonels stiffened moving to stand separately and bow as his majesty entered the room looking quite exhausted. "Ah Darcy, Miss Elizabeth Bennet. You have my thanks for coming so quickly." he said both Colonels curtly nodded and took a seat as the King took his behind a large desk in the corner. "I will be frank with you both, London is falling. Every day we have attacks from those ugly dreadfuls, each attack adding more men to their ranks than we kill. Unless we can come up with a defensive plan that will be greatly effective, I give London no more than a few months before everyone and everything is lost to the zombies." he said making Elizabeth frown.

"Your majesty, may I ask why you have waited so long to bring in reinforcements? Surely we could've had this situation taken care of by now." said Elizabeth leaning forward in interest. King George sighed "Our efforts were focused more on the security of the in between that by the time we saw the danger the zombies hordes have grown innumerable. The man in charge at making sure London was upmost secure unfortunately fell to the plague a few months ago." the weariness in the Kings tone told her that he had exhausted most means.

Elizabeth was silent for a moment locking eyes with Darcy as they had a silent conversation, eventually Darcy huffed before turning to the King. "Don't worry George, Miss Elizabeth and I will try our best to get everything back in order."

Following Night

Elizabeth sat nervously as the carriage went down cheap side, soldiers were scarce as unmentionables walked up and down the streets. More than once they were forced to stop and dispatch of the gruesome beings, thus adding more time to their journey and making them late. "Are you nervous Miss Elizabeth?" asked Darcy from across her, his eyebrow raised in curiosity. Elizabeth frowned "I am not comfortable with family so dear to me in such dangerous proximity to unmentionables. We have much work to do if we are to complete our assignment successfully." she replied just as the carriage came to a sudden stop. Darcy nodded in agreement before exiting the carriage and holding out his hand to help her out.

"Lizzy!" exclaimed a middle aged woman rushing out of the house with opened arms. Elizabeth beamed her eyes a lit with happiness as she rushed into her Aunt's arms. "Aunt!" she greeted before crouching down just in time to catch a small little girl intent on bulldozing her over. "Catherine! Oh how I've missed you!" she assured picking the young blonde up and twirling her around in the air. "Liz! Have you come to play with me!?" exclaimed Catherine with a giddy smile showing how genuinely innocent she was to the world around her.

Elizabeth laughed watching as her uncle made his way out of the house carrying a four year old boy. "Uncle, Sammy!" she exclaimed embracing them happily. "It's good to see you Lizzy, when news reached of us your parents and sisters demise we were quite grieved." said Edward Gardiner as his wife took notice to Mister Darcy's stoic manner. "Mister Darcy, you are most welcome here. I am Madeline Gardiner, this is my husband Edward and my two children Catherine and Samuel. Please come inside its not safe out here." she said gesturing for them to follow her inside.

As soon as they stepped several feet into the house a large gate came down behind the door, Elizabeth watched as the gate and door were locked fiercely by her uncle's steward. Elizabeth went impassive as she commented "I was not aware London had become so bad... You should've wrote Aunt." Madeline looked away sheepishly "We were not willing to lose any more relatives to that accursed disease. However, once we learned of your new rank Colonel.... we knew that you could help. But I must say, I never would have thought that they'd assigned Colonel Fitzwilliam Darcy to be the one to oversee your training. You are all but legend sir." she said bringing Darcy into the conversation.

Darcy casually wet his lips before replying " Training Miss Bennet was a pleasure ma'am, she is quite spirited and her skills far surpass most." The Gardiner's beamed at such praise eagerly moving to the drawing room as they waited to be called for supper. Supper was a pleasant affair and they made it through the first two courses before a bell began ringing loudly in the distance. Both Elizabeth and Fitzwilliam shot up from their seats and turned to the Gardiners' who had instantly gone pale. "What is the bell for aunt??" asked Elizabeth in panic. "It's to warn us.... Zombies are attacking."

-Authors note-  Sorry for the late update! College just started and it will be hard for me to update as frequently, but I will try to get chapters up as quickly as possible. Please comment and tell me your thoughts on this chapter!