No time to lose

Elizabeth tensed as she awoke to hear snarls coming from outside the abandoned cottage. She moved swiftly to her feet and peered out of the boarded window. She instantly backed up and knocked into a body making her spin around to find Darcy with his finger to his lips. "They have surrounded the house." He whispered as he looked around the room with a calculating look. She frowned "We can't allow them to get the children... how many did you count?" She asked pulling out her musket from the bag and sending a silent prayer to the heavens that their horse would remain safe within the stone barn half a mile away.

"I counted approximately thirty unmentionables on the south and east sides." He impassively replied pulling his dagger from his boot. "There are less on the north and west sides probably closer to fifteen." replied Elizabeth as several began pounding on the old cottage. The three children awoke in panic "OH No!" Exclaimed one as Elizabeth quickly rushed to prevent the other two from speaking. "Shhh..." Making Kitty jump to her feet ignoring her exhaustion in favor of surviving and protecting the children around her. "How many!?" She asked in a firm whisper.

Darcy frowned "Enough to be a problem. Elizabeth I should sneak out and get the horse." Elizabeth instantly shook her head "You are still limping from your injury. No, I will go." She replied her eyes hardening in determination. "No, what if something happens to you? No... you can't be the one to go." He replied firmly turning to Kitty who looked beyond exhausted. "Well who else could go? Catherine is barely able to stand let alone run half a mile with zombies at every turn. I am the only option." She retorted, her eyes pleading with him to understand.

Darcy frowned coming up to her and starring directly into her eyes "I don't want you to get hurt..." he stated as concern showed through his brown orbs. "I won't get hurt... do you not trust me?" She asked carefully making Darcy tense before he pulled her into a hug "I trust you with everything. Just please, be careful." He whispered before pulling back and offering her a weak smile. "Alright here is the plan" started Elizabeth before something was suddenly rammed into the front door making it crack under pressure. "I guess the plan is useless now." muttered Kitty drawing her sword and bringing the children even closer to her.

"We can do this... we just have to think smart." states Elizabeth with determination flickering in her eyes. Ten minutes later. Elizabeth was screaming in the far side of the cottage bringing all the zombies to the one side as Darcy, Kitty and the children went up through the roof to find a safe place to run. Suddenly the Zombies burst through the door and all but surged at Elizabeth. "Uh... not happening." She stated as she shot the first one with her musket sending a bullet straight into its head.

She turned to the next and beheaded the distorted female before the zombies came to a halt just outside of her blades reach. "Where are your friends?" asked one with a hoarse voice as the others looked around the cottage. "What friends? As you see, I am the only one here. Whom may I ask were you expecting?" She asked in a warning tone that they did not heed.  "Our leader told us that there was to be another female... like you. He did not say that you would be soooo alonneee." grinned a what was once dashing young man as blood pooled from his teeth.

Elizabeth's nose wrinkled with disgust as she instantly posed herself to walk away "Well as nice as this conversation has been I am afraid it is time for me to go. Now if you'd just excuse me..." she finished moving past one and instantly reacting when one grabbed onto her navy blue sleeve. The zombies arm and head were quickly severed from its decaying body before Elizabeth sighed "Well it would appear that I must deal with you lot first." As if a pack of wild dogs the zombies all lunged at Elizabeth believe in that they had the numbers to take out a insignificant female warrior... boy were they wrong.

Meanwhile Darcy held two of the young children in his arms as they rushed to the barn, his determination to make it back to assist Elizabeth pushing him harder. Kitty was giving it her all as she pushed herself to pull the eldest child forward as she clenched her other fist to keep her sisters dagger within her grip. After what felt like half an hour Darcy could see the barn in site.

The two warriors looked around the barn warily as they looked for any maggot infested dreadfuls within range to be a present danger. When neither saw any, they rushed to the heavily fortified barn doors and quickly barred the doors after being safely outside. "Where is Lizzy's horse? I see yours is here, Shadow looks strong and determined but where is her stallion?" asked Kitty with watery eyes. Darcy frowned "He was bitten when they unwittingly went through the outskirts of the swamps. She rode him till they were out of danger and then put him out of his misery. She burned the body to avoid the undead coming upon him.

Kitty wiped a stray tear from her face as she stated "That horse was a gift from our father. They had a special relationship... now wonder she looks miserable. It's like loosing apart of yourself." Suddenly banging from the gates of barn made their heads whip in that direction as the three children clung to the skirts of Catherine and the trousers of Darcy. "We are trapped! What are we going to do!?" Exclaimed the eldest child with a look of horror. Darcy frowned turning to the single horse carriage in the barn. "Get in the carriage! Miss Bennet keep a look out... I am going to hook up Shadow to the carriage and take that old mare out."

"Wouldn't it be better if I rode the mare? We don't know if she can handle the stress of a quick exit!" questioned Kitty as she looked at the much thinner grey and white mare. "We don't have time to argue Miss Bennet!" He exclaimed in exasperation just as a zombie punched a fist sized hole through the gate, flesh peeling from the bone in the process. The kids cried out in fright making Kitty look to the kids with a comforting smile and state "We will keep you safe... but you must stay absolutely quiet."

Kitty turned to Darcy who promptly threw her his gun "I only have enough balls and powder on me for six more shots... make them count." Catherine nodded in understanding before moving directly to the hole and firing at the first zombie head she saw. Once she had killed a couple with her blade she rushed back to the carriage and took the reins of Shadow. "I am going to unlock the gate and then dispatch of the first few before you push through the horde with the carriage and get to Elizabeth. I will follow you on the mare as soon as I am able." stated Darcy just as the gates gave in and zombies swarmed in. 

Catherine's eyes widen as she held a hand over her mouth "Oh lord... there are so many."

-Authors note- Sorry I just love suspense and cliff hangers. I really hope you enjoyed this update and that you vote and comment as much! I will update again as soon as I am able!

P.S. Thank you so much for being loyal readers and following so loyally, I really appreciate it.