Ring around the roseyy

Darcy and Elizabeth galloped to the opposite side of London's grand wall before drawing the attention of a passing patrolman. "Who goes there!?!" He shouted pulling out his musket and getting ready to fire. "Colonel Darcy and Colonel Bennet ... we are here at the kings orders." shouted Darcy as Elizabeth kept her eyes on their surroundings. The young soldier eyed them skeptically before exclaiming "Opening the door, we must be quick." The two colonels moved their horses into position as a a drawbridge was lowered. They had just moved through when shouts and muzzle blasts followed. "TREE LINE! Zombies in the tree line... get that drawbridge closed!"

Darcy and Elizabeth turned their horses and watched as several zombies tried to charge the drawbridge. Elizabeth reacted instinctively and cut down the closest with her musket before the bridge retracted quickly and slammed shut. The sounds of snarls, grunts, groans as well as thumping met their ears making both Colonels turn to each other with grim expressions. "We need to get the living deeper into the securer parts of the city. Those closest to the walls and tunnels are nothing more than cannon fodder at this point." stated Elizabeth as she gave the horses reins to a stable boy.

Darcy frowned "It is likely that if we move to the point of infiltration we can plan a better longterm strategy." He said as they moved up the steps of the wall and began moving towards all the commotion. When they got within four yards Elizabeth gasped "The wall has been breached! How is this possible!?" She asked as she and Darcy sprinted to get a better view. When they did they both shuddered in horror, Darcy grabbed the first soldier passing by and latched on to his coat as he aggressively asked "What happened here!? How was the wall breached?"

The older soldier huffed in annoyance as he pulled himself from his hold and replied "A crude explosive bolted to the sewer grate sir, not effective enough to take down the wall but big enough to allow them to enter. We have been trying the last day to patch up the damage but the undead are too many." Then without another word the soldier took off back to his duties. Elizabeth looked at the hole and frowned "Its too large of a hole to properly patch up, the amount in which they are entering.... we will be overrun."

Darcy nodded impassively "We must speak to the King." Together the two Colonels rushed to their horses and moved through the city, unpleased to see so many undead lurking within the cities great walls. "There is so many of them!" huffed Elizabeth as she decapitated one zombie in her path. Minutes later they made it through the second and third levels of security and found themselves on the steps of the palace.  A guard approached them within seconds of them dismounting "Colonel Darcy, Colonel Bennet the King is expecting you. Please follow me."

They followed the guard down a guarded tunnel before the man spun around as they can to a fork in the road with six soldiers standing by. "His Majesty's security insists that you both be checked for any signs of the plague before you can go any further."  Darcy's eyebrow quirked up in annoyance as Elizabeth stiffened. "We are not infected. Our training would not allow us to continue if we had been bitten. Now take us to the king." stayed Elizabeth coldly, her eyes darkening in annoyance. The soldier looked taken back as he stuttered a reply "B...But no one may see th.. the king without being checked."

Darcy's eyebrows lifted upwards as Elizabeth took a menacing step forward "YOU.. will take us to the king immediately or it is your head we will deliver to the zombies when they get through our outer defenses." she hissed making a couple of the guards begin to reach for their swords. Darcy's eyes narrowed at them in challenge "I would suggest that you do as the Colonel says. Every moment you refuse, more and more of our people fall prey to the ghastly dreadful." He stated before silence descended between the nine of them.

Finally after a moments more of hesitation from the guards Darcy and Elizabeth before the king. He looked to have aged twenty years as he now had visible wrinkles, pale skin and sunken cheek bones. When the King looked upon the two Colonels he all but cried in relief. "Darcy, Miss Bennett... thank God! My prayers have been answered." Both Colonels grimly bowed before his majesty before Elizabeth spoke "Your majesty, the wall has been breeched. Ravenous unmentionables are roaming the streets, looking for their next meal and any chance to bring more of the living into the folds of the undead. This can not be allowed to continue."

The King frowned as he rubbed his face in exhaustion "I am well aware Colonel just what roams the streets of London. However, my funds have been all but drained and so many of my men have already fallen to the teeth of the undead. Darcy I know not what to do... when I took this position from my father I was already in way over my head but you helped me. Well now I am asking for your help now. Please, help me save as many of my people as possible." He stated looking to Darcy with the utmost sincerity within his eyes.

Darcy's cleared his throat before tentatively stepping forward and replying "Of course, Colonel Bennett and I will begin by clearing as many unmentionables from the street as possible. We need to get as much of the living to the third tier as possible, this tier was designed as a strong hold. It will stand as such. Once this is done we will devise a plan to push back the attack." Elizabeth listened and agreed, any plan of getting the living safe and beheading the undead was fine by her.

The following night

Elizabeth was escorting one of the last family towards the second tier when the sounds of many undead grew nearer. "Hurry. Just around the corner." She said in a hushed tone, pushing the family of four to move quicker. They turned the corner and Elizabeth sighed in relief as she spotted Darcy at the entrance. Darcy and Elizabeth ensured that the family was safely behind the walls when a soldier rushed to their side. "Colonel Bennett... Major Williams and his squad have yet to return from their patrol within the eastern side of Cheapside. I fear... I fear they may have fallen to the undead."

Elizabeth's shoulders sagged as she begun to give in to the feel of defeat, then her eyes turned to steel as she replied "I am going to go look for them. Perhaps they are hiding due to the amount of unmentionables roaming  about." Darcy grabbed her arm as she moved to leave, they locked eyes as he stated "Be careful... remember you must return before dawn breaks at five o'clock or you will be trapped." Darcy watched Elizabeth disappear back into the darkness as the sounds of a small herd of unmentionables came into view. He didn't even flinch as cannons flew past his ears and into the approaching herd.

Elizabeth had just finished off a baker turned undead when the sound of a dog barking drew her attention. Her head whipped around to see a tall blood hound looking at her. The female colonel looked around before she moved to the dog and whispered warily "hey girl, what are you doing here? The undead are everywhere." The dog barked before turning in the direction of a boarded up house. Elizabeth cautiously followed the hound and after a moment of hesitation pushed the wooden door open.

She flinched as it creaked loudly before the dog darted inside and rushed to the back of the house. She moved through the house finding remnants of what was once a household, some shredded and others with their heads blown off. Elizabeth's head whipped to the side as she heard a muffled cry of pain. She looked down to see the hound staring at her with its tongue out and panting. She prepared herself to face whatever was hidden behind the closet door.

She took a deep breath and swung the door abruptly open, she took a step forward her sword poised to strike down any threat when her eyes met the frightened blue ones of a young lady. Elizabeth took in the girls condition and her eyes widen upon seeing her swollen belly and the hisses of pain. The woman looked at her as she gasped out in pain "Please... my baby... it's coming!"

Authors note- Here is another update! I hope you liked it. Please vote and comment and I will update as soon as possible. Thanks for reading!