Unforeseen consequences

Elizabeth was no doubt surprised by Darcy standing up for her against the men, but what really surprised her was how often his attitude would change towards her. Just two hours later Elizabeth had decided that sparring with the men would be a good idea. However when she she was halfway through sparring with the left tenants Darcy had asked for a moment of her time. "What can I do for you mister Darcy?" she asked with a breathless smile. Darcy however scowled before replying "You can stop acting childish and learn your duties instead of fraternizing with the soldiers." Her eyebrows furrowed and her jaw momentarily clenched "I am getting to know the soldiers I am commanding Colonel... So far I have discovered that Captain Denny Favors his right arm but left leg... His right seems to have been injured long ago. Left Tenant Marshall is a master at the axe but for some reason the previous colonel put him on the musket. You see mister Darcy, I am in no way fraternizing with them... I am studying them." she hissed before spinning on her heel and going off to the tent that was now hers.

It was about this time that she started to actively ignore him, she spent time getting to know the troops. Observing those she could call ally and those she should be more wary around. It is eleven in the morning and Elizabeth is in her tent looking over the lengthy correspondences. "Ahem" came the sound of someone by the tent entrance, Elizabeth sighed before moving the correspondence aside and bidding the person to enter. "Ma'am, Colonel Darcy has told me to inform you that it is time to go out on patrol." said a soldier named James. Elizabeth pursed her lips and followed the soldier out of the tent, " Where is he?" she asked when she couldn't find any trace of him. "He is speaking with Captain Denny ma'am, they should be by the south tree line." replied James before clicking his heels and excusing himself.

Elizabeth made her way towards the south tree line and met up with the colonel and Captain before they split off to lead opposite patrols. "Colonel you can go with Miss- Colonel Bennet and patrol the southern paths, keep her from danger and all that while I take the remainder of the regiment to the north path." Said Captain Denny impassively, however, Elizabeth caught the underlying meaning and quickly spoke up " Actually, I think that Colonel Darcy should go with you and your group captain. I am more than capable of defending my men and myself, you are not and therefore Colonel Darcy shall go with you. We will meet back here an hour before sundown." Before either man could respond she spun on her heel and determinedly walked to her group, already getting annoyed by the presence of this captain. "Left tenant Wickham, gather the southern patrol group we need to leave immediately. We can not allow the undead any time to multiply." she ordered making the man smirk and walk off to gather the men.

It was a few hours before Elizabeth and her group came across a lone unmentionable, much to everyone's utter surprise it was shot before anyone could take care of it. "Where did that shot come from!?" exclaimed a soldier in fear. While Elizabeth moved to completely behead the unmentionable, she looked at the angle of the shot and instantly she smirked. Her eyes darted to the tree tops nearby when she caught the displacement of blue fabric in a tree two hundred yards away. "Have no fear! It's merely my sister Catherine." she assured everyone before whistling a tune. A few seconds later Kitty jumped from tree to tree before descending from the closest one to them. She landed gracefully and pushed a stubborn curl back behind her ear. "Lizzy... Soldiers." she greeted with a quick cutesy as she adjusted her musket strap over her shoulder.

Left tenant Wickham smiled and asked "What brings you out to the woods Miss Bennet?" Kitty merely shrugged and replied "I am meeting my Sister Jane in half an hour to escort several people from Meryton to a town north of here. I was merely on my way there when I stumbled upon the unmentionable and began following it before I reacted accordingly." Elizabeth sighed before saying "Kitty you should not be out alone, you should've gone with Jane or waited in town. I don't want what happened to Mary and Lydia to happen to you too." Catherine's eyes narrowed before she casually replied "I will be fine Lizzy, I should get going." Before anyone could object or volunteer to walk with her she was gone.

Meanwhile at Hingham Bridge

The colonel of the regiment sat on his chair beneath the tent, exhaustion prominent on his face. He looked at the map little flags representing his regiment and those of zombie graveyards. "They just keep coming..." he muttered to himself annoyed at his predicament. He leaned over and grabbed the latest corespondents and flipped through the mass of messages. When his hand stilled at one from his cousin, "I wonder what my Cousin is doing in Meryton?" he said to himself before opening the letter and beginning to read.

Fitzwilliam,

I hope my letter finds you well, for I have much to tell you. I know it's been a couple months since I last wrote to you, since then I have been extremely busy with combating the scourge. I received word from our aunt Catherine, she expects to see us for our usual visit in a months time. I hope that you will be able to leave your men under someone's care while we entertain our all knowing and demanding aunt. I find myself  in Hertfordshire in a town called Meryton, I visited here briefly a month ago to rid a house of an infected, and now I find myself in the very house that I cleared.

My good friend Charles Bingley has let the house which is called Netherfield Park and I am here to assist in getting the estate in order. I find myself constantly fleeing as if from the plague itself... Miss Bingley is determined like no other. But just two days ago I found myself in London at the behest of the King. I fear that we will see each other very soon cousin, for I have been persuaded to help the new Colonel of the Hertfordshire regiment. Now what I am about to tell you Fitzwilliam will shock you greatly.

The new colonel of the Hertfordshire regiment is non other than a women named Elizabeth Bennet. Now before you start laughing let me explain to you why this has come about. I am sure being stationed at Hingham's Bridge you have heard of the Protectors of Hertfordshire? Well Elizabeth Bennet and her four sisters are these of whom we hear, they are the protectors of Hertfordshire! You can imagine my shock when I heard that Bingley's carriage had been set upon by zombies with him, his two sisters and Georgiana! Their escorts were all killed leaving Bingley and Georgiana to fight to combat against the large and violent horde. According to both of them they were losing the battle lacking the numbers when two women came out of no where and killed them all.

The two women were in fact Miss Elizabeth Bennet and Miss Jane Bennet, her older sister.  They saved them. Miss Elizabeth Bennet I dare say is a very formidable fighter and lacks no sense on how to combat the scourge. I have been informed that she is the prodigy of the Chinese deadly arts and I am inclined to agree from what I have seen and heard. I am now teaching her all I can about militia regulations and soon her regiment will be replacing your's at the bridge. I fear I must close, the men are getting ghastly disrespectful towards their new colonel and I must sort them out.

Hope to see you soon
Darcy

Colonel Fitzwilliam stared at the letter blankly before he broke out into a smile "I dare say this is the first time he has complimented a woman other than his sister. I must meet this woman, and soon." he said enthusiastically to himself.

-Authors Note- I am so sorry for the late update! But I hope you all enjoyed the chapter and I hope to hear from all of you! Also, if there is anything you hope or want to see please comment about it and I will see if it fits into the future chapters. Thank you all for taking the time to read this! You are all amazing!