She/Her

~ 5 days later ~

Kirstie POV

I sit up in the hospital bed, wrist aching but in a cast. The surgery went well and I'm allowed to go home today.

"Kirst?" Mitch asks, peering into the door.

"Mitchy!" I squeal, grinning at him.

"KIRSTIE!" Mitch practically yells before I shush him.

He runs over to me and wraps his arms around my waist, squeezing me tightly. I squeeze him back, missing how it feels to hug my best friend.

"God I missed you," he groans. "Don't ever get hurt again, not that it was your fault or anything, it was mine."

"It wasn't your fault, you idiot! It was neither of our faults. It was that stupid drivers fault - he ran the red, not us," I say, chuckling.

"Agreed," Mitch says, grinning.

"So, any news?" I ask.

"Um, not much. Miss James accepted a promotion and will be moving departments next year, Mr Hendy will be giving you an extension on your assignment, your mum wants you to come over to mine tonight, there's a new season of Stranger Things coming out, the latest American Horror Story episode was amazing..." Mitch says, trailing off. He has a look on his face that makes him appear to be lost in thought.

"Wait back up," I say, alarmed. "Did you say that Miss James accepted a promotion? Does that mean she'll never teach at our school again?l

"What?" Mitch says, confused. "No, she's just transferring departments."

"Oh," I say, releasing a sigh of relief. "Anything else you haven't told me yet?"

Mitch shifts uncomfortably before finally saying, "No."

I don't believe him, but for his sake I'll let this one go.

~

I arrive at my house in one piece, thankfully, and am greeted by my parents. They usher Mitch and I inside, practically throwing us onto the couch.

"Thank God you're home," Mum says, beaming at us. I think having not having me here affected her the most. I regularly help her out with chores and stuff, and to not have me here work double, if not triple her workload.

"I'm as happy as you are!" I exclaim, grinning at them.

"That's a lie, but I'll accept it given that you're recovering," my dad says, chuckling. "Would either of you like a drink?"

Mitch shakes his head politely, as do I. I have a lot of catching up to do with Mitch, so I hope my parents don't plan on talking for long.

~

Thank the lord for Kirstie Maldonado