Kabanata 23

Kabanata 23

Wonderland

"He what!" Inilayo ko ang phone sa aking tainga dahil sa biglang pagsigaw ni Moira sa kabilang linya. Ilang sandali pa ay narinig ko na siyang tumatawa. "Holy Shit! Are you being serious right now, Kate? Kevin actually proposed to you? And you said no to him?"

"Yes. At bakit mo tinatawanan ang pagiging miserable ng buhay ko?"

Narinig ko muli ang halakhak ni Ate Ira. "You know, Kate... Sa pagkakakilala ko kay Kevin, he's not the marrying-type. And to learn that he actually asked you to marry him is a fucking news to me! Alam na ba nila 'to?"

"Not yet." Tumawa nanaman siya. "Ate! I didn't call you so you could laugh at my problems!"

"Bakit ka ba kasi namomroblema, baby girl?"

"Hindi ko rin alam! I'm here to ask you to help me figure it out!"

"You said he told you he wanted to marry you because he wanted to give you assurance?" She probed. Tumango tango ako kahit alam kong di niya naman ako nakikita. "Yes."

"And you didn't like the idea, am I right?"

"Yes. Kung si Charles ba ang magyayaya sayo magpakasal dahil gusto ka niya bigyan ng assurance, oo ba ang isasagot mo sa kanya?" I asked.

"Of course, I love him." Biglang lumambot ang boses ni Ate Ira. "The sole reason that he's thought of marrying me, of a future with me is enough reason for me to say yes."

I sighed. Gusto kong magpapadyak dahil hindi ko maipaliwanag ang gusto kong sabihin. "What are you fears, Kate? Tell me."

I sighed again, a deep one. "I've known Kevin for a very long time. I've seen him break hearts, I've witnessed his expertise when it comes to sugar coating his words, I've seen it all. And..." I trailed off.

"And you're afraid that he's making you one of those girls?" I heard her tongue clicked. "You know what, Kate... I've known you two longer than the others, I practically grew up with the two of you. Yes, you've seen Kevin break some hearts, yes you've heard Kevin sugar coat his words. So, ano ang ikinatatakot mo? You know him well. Even his flaws, you know him better than I do. Better than his parents do."

"Ayun na nga... I know him too much. I'm afraid there's more to him that I don't know. What if he cheat on me? Kung magsawa siya kakaaway naming dalawa? What if he cleared his head and it's an abomination to date his best friend!"

"I guess it's for you to find out." Aniya sa kabilang linya. "The bottom line is... You're just afraid to get hurt. You're afraid to disappoint yourself. Kate, it's all part of getting into and keeping a relationship. We're not perfect. Kevin, even above most is not perfect as well."

"Years of being friends with the two of you... Kevin never cheated on any of his girls." I'm surprised Ate Ira knows that as well. "He's a fucking horndog but he is not cheater. If you're worried about him changing his mind, you told me he's been keeping his feelings for almost a decade now, did his heart change about you? No."

"It's all about taking chances, Kate. You'll never know unless you find out. I can't tell you what to do because it's different between me and Charles. Iba rin ang sa inyo ni Kevin. So, stop being a goddamn brat and fix your heart issues."

"Ate, kasi ano..." I bit my lower lip, deciding whether to admit this or not. "Feeling ko iiyakan ko lang si Kevin."

She sighed. "When Charles let me know that he wanted to court me, I already have feelings for him kasi nagpaparamdam siya. I told myself, 'Sasaktan lang ako nito,' I was wrong, all he did was make me smile, make me feel loved and happy. You know what I did?"