Chapter 39

Anastasia's POV

"Good morning, honey." Chase greets as I enter the office. "Good morning, Chase." I say. She stands up from the couch and I walk in, and I see the interns sitting in their tables, reading manuscripts. Stephan is in the phone, talking to a writer. I look at Chase pointedly, and she raises her hands up. "C'mon, I just finished talking to a writer." She defends herself. "Fine." I say. "I'll leave you alone to work, boss lady." She says, saluting. I laugh. "Later." I tell her, and enter my office.

I check my phone for messages, and see that I am still on the phone with Christian. It says 12 hours, 33 minutes, and 42 seconds. Now it's 44. He really didn't hang up. Is he awake? Probably. It's 6 in the morning in Seattle. He's probably awake. I inhale, and I start talking. "Hello? Christian?" I say.

"Hello, baby." He answers, and his voice sounds ragged. What is he doing? "What are you doing?" I ask. "I'm running around the city." He explains. That explains a lot. I can hear his footsteps hitting puddle, and his breaths panting. I push my thighs close, trying to relieve the feelings I'm feeling because of his panting. Jesus.

"Oh, okay." I finally say, my voice husky. He's two thousand miles away but he can still turn me on. I bite my lip, stifling my moan. He's panting loudly now, and he's still running. "Stop biting your lip, Anastasia." He pants, still running, and I shriek. Is this phone sex? "I'm gonna call you later." I tell him. I cannot handle him this early in the morning.

"Do not hang up." He commands. "Yes, sir." I purr. He moans and I know he's not running anymore. I walk outside of the office and go to Chase's table. "Can I meet them?" I ask, and she stands up from her seat and calls everyone. "Guys, get in here, the boss wants to meet you." She shouts. I roll my eyes at her, laughing.

I see the interns and I stand up. "Okay, here she is, the Mrs. Christian Grey and all that." She introduces, and I roll my eyes again. "Don't mind her. Hi, I'm Anastasia Grey, I own this little publishing house, and the one in Seattle. And yes, I am married to Christian Grey." I say, blushing at the last bit. They introduce themselves and I shake their hands. "Okay, now get back to work." Chase tells them and then they go back to their respective cubicles.

"Why did you have to bring up Christian?" I ask as she closes the door. "They've been asking me since the renovations started, Ana. I need to explain why. They never thought you were married when they saw you before you left for Seattle." She explains. "Fine, whatever." I concede. "I'm leaving at 3." I tell her before I exit her office. "Okay." She answers.

The other side of the office is being expanded starting today, so the space the office usually has is more cramped than ever. Chase doesn't even have an office. The contractor told me the expansion will be done in 2 weeks, then the other side will be repainted. Renovation is hard. I walk back to my room and I sit back at my chair. I check my inbox and see Chase's messages. I open it and see the email addresses of the authors. I start typing a message.

From: Anastasia Grey

Date: August. 4, 2012 9:48 AM PST

Subject: Congratulations!

To: <send all>

Hi! I and my team of editors loved your manuscript, and I would like to work with it with you. You get all the creative freedom and I will support you every step of the way.

If you are interested in pursuing this project, please reply to this message or email my fellow editor, Chase Lauren at chaselauren@gpc.com. I'm hoping to receive your confirmation!

Anastasia Grey

CEO, Grey Publishing

I fidget with the send button. I don't know if this is businesslike, so I decide to ask the person who is the best in business. "Christian. Are you there?" I ask. I hear this loud splash of water. "I am. Sorry, I was taking a bath, babe." He answers. "You can finish it first. I'm sorry." I apologize. He stops the water and I hear him drying his hair.