Chapter 42

Christian's POV

I'm cold, and mommy's at the floor, sleeping. She's been sleeping a lot recently. At least the big bad man isn't coming here. I cover her with my blanket and I lie down beside her, hugging her. She's always cold. The thunder booms. I hide my face in her arms. I look up to see mommy's face and see it's Ana.

Ana! No. No! She's not breathing. Ana, please. Don't leave me! No. No! NO!

I wake up bathing in my own sweat, seeing Ana sleeping peacefully. Jesus christ. I remove my grasp from the bedsheets and go to the bathroom, looking at myself in the mirror. I look aghast. It's been a while since I had nightmares. This is not normal. Wanting to shake this unsettling feeling, I check on Teddy. He's sleeping peacefully, lullabies playing softly.

I go to the closet and get my running gear. I put on my watch and see that it's just 4 in the morning. I have that photoshoot I've been dreading to do. Ana told me it's a location photoshoot, so we'll need to go to Fairmont. I had the olympic suite closed and reserved for the photoshoot. I tie my shoes tight and stretch, and start running.

Running has always keep me grounded. It makes me forget shit. When I'm running, my focus is always to reach the point where I can barely breathe. It starts to drizzle. Fuck. I continue running until the rain has drenched me to the bone. As I walk back inside, I see Ana at the kitchen, cooking breakfast.

"It's 6 in the morning." I say, removing my jacket. "I know." She answers immediately, not looking at me. I continue walking to our room, leaving little puddles of water behind. Gail is going to have a field day of cleaning the house today. I remove all my clothes and go inside the scalding hot shower, trying to get rid of the rain and the awful dream. I need to see Flynn soon.

I finish taking a shower and get dressed, wearing what Ana picked for the photoshoot- an all-black ensemble. I go down and see Ana eating. "You're dressed already?" She asks, looking at me from head to toe. "Yes. Why?" I ask, sitting beside her. "Nothing. You just look really good." She says shyly, looking at her food. I chuckle. "It's just a face." I say, smiling.

"You're more than a handsome man, baby. You are a loving husband and father. You do all these great deeds. You feed the world's poor. You improve communications and agriculture in developing countries. Yes, it's just a face. That's because you have a good heart, Christian." Ana tells me, holding my hand. I smile at her. She always knows what to say. "Now, eat." She orders me, putting scrambled eggs on my plate.

She finishes eating and puts her dishes on the sink. "I'm just going to check on Teddy and take a shower." She tells me, kissing me on the cheek. I see her skipping at the stairs and I continue eating. I call Andrea. "Good morning, Andrea." I say. "Mr. Grey." Andrea says, shocked. Is she drunk again? "We have spare rooms at the building, right?" I ask. "Yes, Mr. Grey. Why?" She asks. "Have three of them converted into one of those rooms for children. The one where you can leave them and they can play or read or things like that." I describe.

"Oh, a nursery and a playpen. Yes, Mr. Grey. I can have it arranged." Andrea tells me. "Have it finished at the end of the week. I do not give a damn if it's already Wednesday and they have four days to finish the work. Contact my brother and have him send the layout to me by noon. Have HR hire people to serve as the caregivers." I list. "Yes, Mr. Grey." Andrea answers. "Also, can you have a crib delivered to my office? Some pillows may work also." I add. "Yes, Mr. Grey. May I remind you about your photoshoot with Miss Leibovitz at 8?" Andrea reminds me. "Thank you, Andrea. Update me for changes." I tell her and end the call.

I finish eating and climb up to Teddy's room. He's wide awake, drinking breastmilk from the bottle. I get him out of his crib and bring him to the meadow. We sit at the grass and he stops feeding. He starts grabbing grass and he tries to put it in his mouth. Jesus christ! "Teddy, no!" I scold, removing the soil from his hands. He grabs some again and I groan, frustrated. "Theodore, you cannot put soil in your mouth." I scold, standing up. Bringing him out here is just a bad idea.