Chapter 26

For the next two days I hardly left Josh's bed. He was in the infirmary, strapped u to machines with potions in them. "Tell me what happened once again." Tara, who was pacing behind me, asked yet again.

"I-I told you... He said he found something. And... Then his eyes went up kind of blackish. And... He fainted and..." I stopped myself, I knew if I said more I was going to cry.

"I understand... Don't worry. We will get him better." Tara said reassuringly.

"We? I can hardly do anything..." I mumbled.

"Ugh Elsa... I am reminding you that I'm Matilda's assistant. Remember? Hello? Assistant in training kind of..." She said. I nodded.

"How come?" My mind has been blank. Constantly.

"Remember yesterday the top nurse just cried out and went missing? So now Matilda is the head nurse for the time being. And I'm her assistant" she recited. It was probably the fifth time she had told me that today.

"I-I'm happy for you." I murmured. My voice was always quiet and partly monotoned. It's like I wasn't really there. All that mattered to me was Josh.

"Will he be okay?" I bit my lip, my eyes tearing up.

"Elsa... We don't know. He should be but... Something. It's controlling or blocking him or something! I don't know." Tara said, standing over me and looking worriedly down at Josh. She had bags under her eyes, so did I. We've been awake most of the night, caring after Josh.

It was pretty late and I felt myself nodding off, not resisting I fell asleep, my hand still entwined with Josh's. It was the only thing that reassured me he was here, and alive. It was the only thing keeping me sane.

I felt my eyes flitter open, the cold dawn light shone on my face.

Wait a minute...

Where was I?

Alert I opened my eyes wider. I was in my cabin room, Tara was nowhere to be seen. Why was I here?! I sat up, crawling to the edge of my bed and falling out, straight on my side. I didn't feel any pain, only numbness.

Someone was wrong. I could tell it was. My link with Josh... Something is very very wrong!

I staggered to the wardrobe, quickly pulling on black leather pants and a skin tight black T-shirt.

I couldn't think straight, my thoughts were whirling and I felt partly dead. Like something was taken away from me. Just as I was about to reach the door it opened, a tear streaked Tara walked in, she fell on her knees, shaking and sobbing tremendously.

"Tara. What's wrong?" I demanded, wishing I had never heard what she said next.

"Elsa. It's... It's J-Josh. He's gone."