Chapter 63

Eventually I still hadn't outrun the city, or the little specks of ashes around me.

I looked a round quickly, my eyes were wide with terror.

I staggered over to a hotel, the image kept flickering, 'safe haven' 'paradise' 'monster mania free' the neon sign kept flashing.

There were some guards up front, looking straight at me, I could tell they weren't human. But they didn't seem dangerous.

"Please." I begged, collapsing on the ground right in front of them.

My eyelids flittered open, and for a few minutes I stared, unfocused, at the roof above me.

"You awake?" A voice asked me, I flinched. Looking up.

I saw a little girl in front of me, she must have been a year younger then me or something, but her eyes said otherwise. She had a piercing green eyes, dark brown hair that was short, the bottom just touched her shoulder, it was layered and kids of reminded me of Tara's, except Tara's was darker. Her skin was fair, and as I watched, her age seemed to grow. Shifting constantly.

"Who are you? Where am I? What is this place? Are you human?" I asked quickly. She held up her hand.

"My name is Nala. You are in a safe haven, we saw you were panicked, knowing you weren't quite human, since you could see us, so we took you in. This place is referred to as home, for me. And no, I'm not quite human." She smiled, her eyes glistening.

"Why do your eyes look older then the rest of you?" I asked her, she scowled.

"I had a curse placed on me, I would grown in age constantly, almost five times as fast as the regular speed, however this place fixed me up. And I am grateful. Although not everything that has been removed can be placed back again." She said, the hint of a growl was in her voice.

"I'm sorry about that." I mumbled, not quite sure of what to say.

She turned, looking at me directly, "I think you've got enough problems of your own."

I shivered, "uh. Well I guess you could say that. But..." I started.

"That curse. It's mani festering at you, the more you hide it away the stronger it becomes. And then when you get fed up, or can't hold it in, it creates a surge of energy and power. That isn't easily controlled." She stated.

"How do you know I'm cursed...?" I asked wearily. This made her laugh.

"Because it's obvious. You've got the mark on you." She said, pointing at me.

I looked down at what she was pointing at, it didn't seem like there was anything on me.

"Here." She muttered, coming over and stroking my hand.

On the top of it a mark glistened, suddenly becoming outlined.

There was a shadowy affect of a fancy 6 shape, although the top of the six, instead of the tip falling down, it flicked up, kind of swirling. In the middle of the six was a shape that looked like a water drop, eventually the layers moulded into a flame. A flame of a fire. The tip of the water drop was frosted over with ice, looking like a snowflake.

"T-that's. Why did I never notice it?" I asked the girl.

She smiled, "because you can't see it. Not completely. It is this place, you see, with special training you can see what others can't. Basically recognising monsters straight away, sensing magical things, calling items and seeing them. Magic. Curses. Although you haven't gone through that, obviously." She said to me, letting go of my hand.

"Nala. Can you show me how to do that?" I asked.

She hesitated. "I-I guess I could. But it is forbidden here, it's very dangerous you see. And... I couldn't." She frowned.

"So...?" I asked her.

"We could go to that school. I am actually eighteen, and I have been there, but I got cursed, and the antidote worked too well for me, making me younger then I was. My life is pretty messed up." She sighed. Ruffling her hair.

"Well let's go. How do we get out of here?" I asked.

She looked at me, her eyes shifted towards the window.

"Well we could go out that way. Since you probably won't be able to leave otherwise, not without answering some questions."

"what?" I asked.

"Our group was very confused about you. Unless you want to spout your whole life story, I suggest we make a run for it." She said, grabbing me and hoisting my up.

"How come you can touch me, without dying?" I asked Nala.

"It's not easy, I'll give you that. However since I have gone through some training, I can keep myself protected. You'll learn it later, in your second year of being a warrior if I remember correctly."

I decided not to ask anymore questions, I opened the window.

"Nala?" Came a voice.

"Run!" She shrieked at me, practically pulling me to my doom. I jumped out the window, nimbly landing on my feet as I continuously bounded down, Nala at my side.